Thursday, February 17, 2005

Liner notes, etc.

Wow. So much happened today to blog about, but I have already pre-determined what today's entry would be. So, quickly:

Got a phone call from Mike. That was awesome. He's doing really well, and offered (jokingly...mostly) a job to me in Minnesota that pays like almost double what I'm making now.

We heard back from one of the bills we entered on the Where's George? site. (wheresgeorge.com) Cool! The dollar had only traveled 11 miles, but still, it was exciting to finally get a response. Yay for money tracking!

Um. I guess that was pretty much all. Doh. I thought there was more to my day, but apparently not.

Luckily I've got that pre-determined blog entry to fall back upon, huh?

Okay. So, one year ago today I went and identified all the song lyrics I'd used as blog titles on my blog. I figured, since then, I've used several other songs, so now I'll ID those. Maybe every Feb. 17th I'll update this. It'll be a gimmick. Gimmick!!!!

Away we go...

"Our hearts pump dust and our hairs all gray" on Feb. 18th, 2004, is from Tiny Cities Made of Ashes by Modest Mouse

"Here's a truck stop instead of St. Peter's" on Feb. 22nd, 2004, is from Man on the Moon by REM

"Nowhere Man" on Mar. 2nd, 2004, is from Nowhere Man by the Beatles

"You better watch out, because I'm about to say 'Fuck'!" on Mar. 16th, 2004, is from Rockin' the Suburbs by Ben Folds

"....I'm getting older too." on Mar. 24th, 2004, is from Landslide by Fleetwood Mac (also covered by the Smashing Pumpkins)

"I want Charles in charge of my days and my nights." on Apr. 2nd, 2004, is from Charles in Charge by Timothy Thompson

"A three hour tour. A three. hour. tour." on Apr. 5th, 2004, is from the Gilligan's Island theme song, which I am too lazy to google up to see who wrote it.

"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed" on May 1st, 2004, is from Ocean Breathes Salty by Modest Mouse

"So they rode on ahead on their furry donkey." on May 8th, 2004, is from Happy Jack by The Who

"It's a nice day to start again." on June 1st, 2004, is from White Wedding by Billy Idol

"Bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun fun fun fun fun!" on June 8th, 2004, is from The Wonderful Things About Tiggers by Tigger

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." on June 9th, 2004, is from Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who

"Ch-ch-ch-changes" on June 13th, 2004, is from Changes by David Bowie

"you're older than you've ever been" on June 14th, 2004, is from Older by They Might Be Giants

"What the world needs now..." on June 15th, 2004, is from What the World Needs Now is Love by ...like, everyone on the freaking planet. I don't know who did the original. It's also from Teen Angst (What the World Needs Now) by Cracker

"You promised me the ending would be clear" on Sep. 7th, 2004, is from Bring Me The Disco King by David Bowie

"Ever since we said it, he went and took the credit" on Sep. 10th, 2004, is from Monkey to Man by Elvis Costello

"It's kickin' in! Yeah! It's kickin' in! Yeah! It's kickin' in! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!" on Sep. 16th, 2004, is from It's Kickin' In by They Might Be Giants

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" on Oct. 9th, 2004, is from Beautiful Boy by John Lennon

"Stop and smell the smoke" on Oct. 19th, 2004, is from Smoke by Ben Folds

"Once more, with feeling." on Nov. 2nd, 2004, is from that Buffy musical thingy. ;)

"....and there's nothing on." on Nov. 17th, 2004, is from 57 Channels (and nothin' on) by Bruce Springsteen

"What a drag it is getting old." on Nov. 20th, 2004, is from Mother's Little Helper by the Rolling Stones

It's been a hard day's night. on Nov. 30th, 2004, is from Hard Day's Night by The Beatles

Whoa, I ....I...I'm still alive. on Dec. 12th, 2004, is from Alive by Pearl Jam

"Tale as old as time." on Jan. 19th, 2005, is from Beauty and the Beast

"Goddamn right, it's a beautiful day!" on Feb. 1st, 2005, is from the hidden track on the Eels album that I forget the name of right now.

"We can be happy underground" on Feb. 7th, 2005, is from Underground by Ben Folds

"Time keeps on slippin, slippin', slippin' ...into the future" on Feb. 8th, 2005, is from Fly Like an Eagle by Steve Miller


And, partial credit entries. Things that weren't exactly lyrics, but were kinda sorta influenced by them:



"The groove? It's in the heart." on Mar. 6th, 2004, gets (Pepsi?) partial credit! for being derived from Groove is in the Heart by Dee-Lite

"I would drive 500 miles. And I would drive 500 more." on June 2nd, 2004, gets (Pepsi?) partial credit! for being derived from I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers

"Our news turns one today, oh boy" on Oct. 13th, 2004, gets partial credit for being derived from A Day in the Life by the Beatles

Boxing (Day)'s been good to me, Howard. on Dec. 26th, 2004, gets partial credit for being derived from Boxing by Ben Folds

Clouds in my synapses on Jan. 11th, 2005, gets partial credit for being derived from You're So Vain by Carly Simon

I used to blog a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more. on Feb. 14th, gets partial credit for being derived from Mister Brownstone by Guns 'n' Roses


Whew! I think the thing I learned from this is to make sure I only do it once a year. And to use less song lyrics as titles.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Are you trying to guilt me because I haven't done this yet??

It didn't work!

jenn said...

eels album: daisies of the galaxy.

And I, too, like birds.

(mgan)

Jess said...

This has nothing to do with your entry, but a few entries back you mentioned that you were always taking movie suggestions. Well, I just got done watching Castle In the Sky, and thought it would be a really cool thing for all of spish to enjoy. I know you've watched at least one Miyazaki movie with the girls before, but this one was extra super cool. Plus, it made me think of you because it had what could be interpreted as a Quinnian message. See what you think.

I got it from Netflix.

P@ said...

We watched Castle in the Sky about ..a year ago, maybe? We enjoyed it muchly. It's interesting that you mentioned Miyazaki again because I just saw a commercial for a new-not-really-new DVD of his that's coming out on Feb. 22nd and I got all excited about it.

Anonymous said...

Aaaaahhh, the joy of song lyrics. Always there to help you out when you can't think of a title beyond Argh or Blech or Grr or Where Are My Trousers...

~CosmicAvatar

Jess said...

The new set of DVDs including Nausicaa? Woooooooo-hooooooo!