Sunday, August 31, 2003

Track 6: The Accident

One of those 'unanswerable' questions is about life. Was it an accident, or is there some sort of 'grand design' to it all?

I think that it was serendipitous. I don't know why, exactly. It just seems that any sort of creator ...I don't know. [sigh] I don't want to think about it, really. Instead, I'll offer you another weird theory of mine, that has been brewing in my head recently.

Perhaps the universe goes through reincarnations. It was born (however that happens - Big Bang, or whatever), and it grows and forms itself, and da da da, the eons go by, and life occurs, and da da da, humans come along, and da da da, the universe "dies" (whether by contracting back in on itself, or by burning out, whatever works for ya). And then, somehow, it happens again. (This probably works best with the "contracting" universe idea. That once it contracts back to a small singularity, it re-explodes with another Big Bang.)

Once that happens, it would seem that the universe would be stuck in an endless loop of repeating everything exactly the same. But what if each time it happened, there was some sort of minute change? In popular SciFi stories, sometimes the change would mean that there would be a completly different universe (the multiverse theory). In my theory, there doesn't need to be more than one universe. It's the same universe, just going through different stages of it's life.

And maybe the universes "overlap" each other. This would account for such things as deja vu, psychic phenomenons (predicting the future would really be a glimpse of a universe that had already happened), and maybe "ghosts" as well. I don't know. Just a thought.

I might incorporate it into the ever-elusive Perth story. If I ever write the damn thing. "Who's still working on his masterpiece?" indeed.

Site of the hour - Yikes.

No comments: