Monday, January 17, 2005

Why do I even watch movies?

They simply wash over me anymore. We watched Shrek 2 (sequelious!) and Vanilla Sky (as opposed to Vanilla Coke) last night. Our philosophy was "Carpe Diaz"!

But, yeah, while I liked both movies enough to spend the time watching them, I don't have anything to really say about them. Ya know? Shrek 2 was entertaining, but, as per the rule of sequels, didn't quite measure up to the first one. And the Far Far Away Idol thing at the end was cute...but Simon was as irritating in CGI form as real life. Or wait! Maybe Simon Whatshisname is a computer animated character! That explains so much!!

In any case, it wasn't a horrible movie, and I'm glad that i saw it, but I doubt I'll be quoting from it anytime soon. [shrug]

Vanilla Sky felt like it was 150 years long.

The director really could've cut 20 or 30 minutes from it and it would've been much better. Steph and I discussed the explanation at the end - I won't give it away here, mostly because I'm too lazy to type up the HTML code - and I felt like it should've been different, but it was pointed out to me that that's mostly because my brain works improperly. ;)

So. Tonight we're supposed to finally watch last week's Lost, maybe two week's ago's Alias, and the movie The Secret of Roan Inish. Plus we need to go shopping for new clothing for moi. Fun!

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable Martin Luther King Jr Day!

3 comments:

Amy said...

[quote] They simply wash over me anymore.[/quote]

DUDE! That's like that example from that Harvard linguistics study! I totally didn't think people actually said things like that! Though ... I find it understandable. Yay!?

I think "The Secret of Roan Inish" is either one of those movies that I wanted to see, or is one of those movies that sounds like I would want to see it, but in reality, I wouldn't. I can't remember. Anyway, I haven't carpsi any of those Diazes, so I have no comment.

I hope someone other than Beth knows why that was almost funny.

Simon said...

As Weird Al Yankovic puts it: "Simon Cowell/Who folks want to disembowel/Opens up his mouth, always says something foul".

I like "Carpe Diaz" . Although I wouldn't like to Carpe Diaz. Urgh.

Me said...

Gotta say I LOVED Vanilla Sky but I find it's one of those movies people generally love or hate. We also watched the original, "Abre Los Ojos" and were surprised at how identical they were. Cameron Crowe definitely added his own style, but much of it was almost identical.