Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Shine, monkey! Glow, monkey!

Yeah, I don't know either.

Today was the first day since starting this job (jesus, p@, shut up about work, already!) that I wasn't tired all day long! That deserves a massive "woo hoo!". Being tired sucks.

My boss - who does have a name, and it is Tina - however, was tired. Heh. UTTina. She went to the KingWorld party yesterday, and it, apparently went on until 3am. I didn't get to go. Partly from newness, mostly due to, you know, the wife being all knocked up and all. "Oh? You're having the baby now? Well...I'm kinda here watching Hall & Oates perform, so can you just wait a few more hours? Thanks!"

We went to the library for the first time this year today. Steph handled the business aspect, so now we owe 15 dollars instead of 45. Go team Steph!

While at the libe, we discovered that they [heart] Shrek. So does Harper! Details!: The library is having a Shrek-themed party on Feb. 12th. Viewings of the movies, followed by snacks, and pictures taken with Shrek and Fiona. Nifty!

I checked out two graphic novel/comic book books, a They Might Be Giants CD (John Henry, for those keeping track), and a novel (such as it is) by Spider Robinson. Yay for non-thinky humor sci-fi!

Saren got a buttload of Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon books and DVDs (did you know that Japanese comics read right to left? And when they're reprinted in the US, they are generally "mirrored" so that we can read them left to right. Knowledge!).

Harper got a Tom & Jerry DVD, and a Raggedy Ann & Andy book, along with some other things that I can't remember.

Steph checked out a craft book, a novel about the size of our car, some Home Education Magazine magazines, and ...I forget what else. But overall, we scored. See, the library is great.

In nonlibrary news, it rained today. Again. Stupid rain. I thought you were gone. But, apparently, it's sticking around until Friday. At least. [sigh] I mean, it's nice and all, but the people in Las Vegas don't know how to drive when it rains. Or when the weather changes at all. Accidents galore! And I've been having this uneasy feeling lately about driving. Like there's an accident just waiting to happen. It's most likely just my imagination being retarded, but I'd still feel better if the weather cleared up.

At work (I know!!) part of my job is to screen movies that are going to air, making sure that they don't contain anything obscene or indecent. (OBIN is the fun jargony word we use. As in: "That episode of Maury had OBIN issues." Heh. Work is so ...) Anywhat, today I watched Chain of Command (the 2000 version). It was a decent enough movie. There are certainly worse ways to spend an afternoon (and get paid to do it!) In the movie, Washington gets hit by a nuclear weapon. (Oops. Sorry to spoil it for anyone. But, actually, while that sounds like it should be a big deal, in the movie it's barely a blip.) I think that the Beijing government chose that city as their target because the president is Roy Scheider. And, man, is he the ugliest president I think I've ever seen. Move over, Mr. Lincoln!

Another movie I got to view was Winners Take All. Dude. How in the world can that have a higher ranking at imdb than Chain of Command?? I will never understand people on the internet.

So, yeah. This "movie" was all about motorbike racing. It's really a pity that it didn't have a nuclear weapon in it. I might've enjoyed it more. It's sad that the highlight of WTA is a scene where a bull urinates. Even sadder that it may be cut. Poor bull piss. [frown] A victim of our society's prudish ways.

Hmm. I think I've hit a wall on things to say. But, hey. This was a longish entry. So, that's something. I guess.

Imaginary savings this year to date: $57.79. That's enough to buy a(n imaginary) copy of Donkey Konga for the GameCube. Woohoo!!

9 comments:

Jess said...

I've decided the job I would be most crap at in the whole wide world is rating films for indecency and violence; apparently I have no idea what people consider 'too much', because every week there comes that warning before 24, and every week I'm like, "Dude! Where's my graphic violence?"

Anonymous said...

"Steph handled the business aspect, so now we owe 15 dollars instead of 45."

Can I borrow Steph to talk to my credit card companies?

-nkl

Amy said...

I like the talking about work! It's interesting! Especially since it's like, totally new work from your other work. So it's like a whole new topic.

Also, when you kick off the entry talking about monkeys, um. My brain gets sort of distracted. So I think this was the best entry ever! Monkeys!!

I hope that there is safe passage for you and your car in the rain.

Simon said...

Big yays for not being tired at work! Oh yeah.

Amanda said...

They let you check things out with an outstanding balance?!? I've had an overdue book fine for over a year (from a WD book club book). I'm scared of paying it, because I don't want them to take away my card, since it really isn't my card, but my sister's card, who no longer lives here. I can't get my own card because I have issues with paying $140 a year for what should be a free service. The City of Iowa City holds a grudge against the City of University Heights and won't let us use its library. Bastards.

P@ said...

Kinda freaky occurance! A salesperson from our station was in a car accident this morning! So, um, there's a possible explaination for the thoughts I've been having. Hopefully I didn't cause the accident. [/Walt] (Oh, and the guy's okay - but his brand new car is crunchified.)

And Amanda - we used my library card to check out the books, not Steph's.

Amy said...

Also! To prove that I am completely not bored by your tales from work: I am intrigued. How does your station edit things? Like, swearing and such? Is there bleeping, or over-dubbing, or does that depend on the movie and how they do it (ie - it's not controlled by you)? What makes material offensive enough to be cut out rather than bleeped/over-dubbed, or is it just a laziness thing?

P@ said...

I am intrigued. How does your station edit things? Like, swearing and such? Is there bleeping, or over-dubbing, or does that depend on the movie and how they do it (ie - it's not controlled by you)? What makes material offensive enough to be cut out rather than bleeped/over-dubbed, or is it just a laziness thing?Well, simple swearing things are done by a very easy removal of the audio. "Motherfucker!" becomes "Mother !" , for example. That's done by me. More complex editting, such as pixelating nudity has to be done by the production guys. ALthough I'm hoping that I'll get to be shown how, cuz that would be fun. But time consuming, to hear they're take on it. [shrug]

As for what constitutes offensivicity (??) - there are corporate issued guidelines. I may blog about them later, as they're quite amusing in some instances. [up]

Amanda said...

I am impressed with your sneakiness.