Thursday, January 06, 2005

Clickety-clack.

Dude. What's up with our keyboard? Now, when I type anything, each leter produces a tiny (that should've ben tinny) sounding sound. Also, double leters don't work. Unles I wait for a while before hiting the second key. It's iritating, to say the least. (The double keystroke pause thing also includes the return key and most anoying, the backspace key, so going back to corect erors - time consuming!)

I'm suspecting it's some sort of virus, or spyware or one of those thing-a-ma-bobs. You know what I mean. Either way, I'm not hapy about it, but I'l move on.

So, gues what! I got the job!

No, not that job (although that entry was my way of telling you al that I was applying for a new position. I'm all about the metaphor and the gimicks, you see).

No, the job is Programming Assistant. So I'm still with the "vast sewer of moral darkness", just in a different department.

Side note: I discovered the clickety clack causer. Someone turned on the Filter Keys option on our computer. Which apparently causes Windows to delay keystrokes. What an odd feature. Anywhat, it's turned off now. Yay! [/side note]

So, yeah, as I was saying - A few weeks back, the station's Programming Assistant got hired on at a competitor station, and that left her position open. I figured, "What the heck" and applied for it. The interview went super well, and two days ago, I was officially offered the gig. Yay! So what does a Programming Assistant do, you ask? Among other things, I will be in charge of editing the movies that our stations run. Woohoo! Censorship!! I will also be in charge of talking to the TV Guide people, making sure they know what we're running. And, I'll speak with movie distributors, finding out information about when certain films can run, yada yada yada. Basically, I will be the assistant to the Program Director, who makes the decisions as to what we air. Besides Network. We can't control what the WB decides to run. Damnit. But! my new boss is one of the coolest people at the station, so working for her is going to be awesome. Plus! It's a step up. (Not monetarily, of course, because our stations are cheap, and from the sound of it, about as broke as our family is.) But within the industry, this is defintely seen as an improvement on one's resume.

So, yeah. No more watching the boob tube for 8 hours a day for this guy. Instead, I'll be deciding (or helping in the deciding) what the Master Control ops will be watching instead. Heh. I'll have an office - well, a cubicle, at any rate - and an actual business email account (interent access!? Does this mean that I will once again blog from work? Hmmm. No. Or at least, not right away.), and I'll have nights and weekends free. Plus, I'm going to be 30 this year. It's about time that I grew up and got a real job.

There's a whole lot more I could blog about in regard to this - basically the turmoil that has resulted in the Master Control Department the past few days because of this development, but it's really boring to anyone that isn't working there, so I'll not talk about that.

Seems like, thus far, anyway, 2005 is going to be a pretty good year. Here's hoping it only gets better.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Heee! This is great news! ... That I already knew. Ha ha! I'm better than most people. However, even though I knew you had won, I did not know what game you were playing. [/what?] So it's cool to hear about the job.

It sounds like so much control! Master Control! Hehehehehe. Anyway, you could do things like edit out a random five seconds of film, and claim you did it for religious reasons. Or not. Your call.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Nights and weekends free, huh? Does that mean you have to start getting up at the crack ass of dawn to go to work? Because that part would suck for me.

~starshine~

Jess said...

I don't know about you, but my favourite part of getting a real job was that the hours don't suck horribly, and that I have free time at the same time as my husband and friends and can therefore see them, like, ever. So, congratumalations!

P@ said...

Cindy - yeah, I will be getting up earlier than I'm used to. That part will be tough to get used to, but I won't complain.

Much. [grin]

Amanda said...

Congratulations!

Wouldn't it be hilarious if you "decided" that some random word was now on the forbidden list? Someone's watching a movie and all the references to "car" is bleeped out. Definitely amusing (to me).

Simon said...

That is so excellent! It's all good. May 2005 continue in the same vein for your good self. Yes indeed!