Thursday, July 10, 2003

Well. Apparently Bravenet is in the midst of some make-over. Which means that my hit counter reads that all the visitors have an IP address of 0.0.00.00, and that everyone visited my blog at 4pm on December 31st, 1969. It's sad that I've not had any visitors in the past 36 years. And weirder still that I haven't even been alive that long.

Speaking of time travel, we saw T3 tonight. (Stephanie's superrad brother came over and watched the girls. [up])
We had dinner at In-N-Out beforehand, and it was delicious, as per usual, but there's a part of me (ever increasing, actually) that is uneasy about eating
a) meat
b) fast food meat
c) anything not raised by myself
d) anything that supports and validates the wage slavery of our economy (and fast food (and other "entry level") positions are the base on which that pyramid is standing)
e) pretty much anything.

Yes, I'm going to ramble ecology for a while, because I've not yet succeeded in alienating all of my readers.

Actually, I had this big long thing typed out, and now I'm not going to post it. (Some other time, I promise. If the stuff I've talked about before upsets you, leave. Honestly. It's not going to go away. At least not here. And wow, I'm sounding bitter [still] and I hope I'm not offending anyone. Blame it on being overtired, I suppose. Or on still internalizing the messages I've been reading the past few weeks. Or ...gah. I'll just get onto the movie review, shall I?)

Here comes my butt-ugly spoiler tags. Terminator 3 talk is within. Oh, and Annika - about my speculation - it could be right. (about as right as any of my Buffy speculation ever was.)




Where to begin? There was certainly humor. Yay for that, I guess. The "talk to the hand" joke was pretty darn funny, in both occasions.
I didn't really like how John Connor was always the one who "interrupted" Kate's grieving. Anytime she was in mourning (her fiance, her father) John was the one who had to "snap her out of it" (I'm probably being over-sensitive).
The T-X was brutal, as a killing machine should be. Although I've got to wonder how it managed to reach the pedals of the car from the backseat. Maybe it simply "controlled" the car, like the police cars and whatnot. [/nitpick]
The in-joke from T2 with Dr. Silberman was nice. Although (and I won't give away any major spoilers to the S.M. Stirling T2 books) he's mentioned in T2: Rising Storm in a very different capacity.
The crane chase scene had the inner "boy" in me enthralled. Yay for mass destruction!! (although one's got to wonder where the news copters were? [/another nitpick])
The nod to the first movie was also pleasant. Where the T-X's legs had been removed, and the hero(es) were still being chased by the relentless killing machine.

[sigh]

But the end. The ending was just wrong. I mean, it was right, in that in Real Life, we are totally continuing down that path, and are doing NOTHING to stop it.
But this is the movies! And it's the Terminator series. Remember the end of The Terminator? Sarah Connor is pregnant with John. She's driving to Mexico, and it's not hope"full", perhaps, but there is hope. Judgment Day is still just a "maybe".
And Terminator 2: Judgement Day's ending was certainly more optimistic than T3's. "Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too." Ring any bells?
And what about "There is NO FATE but that which we make ourselves"? [sigh] Judgment Day happens anyway. And it's horrible. THey don't show the aftermath, nor the suffering of those who happen to survive, but still, 3 billion lives are wiped away in an instant. And John Connor will still be murdered (terminated) in 2032. (On Independance Day, ironically enough)
Steph said that it seemed to be a stepping stone for T4, and I agree that it certainly seemed to be a set-up for another sequel. And part of me wants a T4, so that the series ends on a more optimistic note.
But really, what else could they tell? Any other movie would have to be set in a post-apolocapytic world. Is that what audiences want? Do I want to sit through two hours of a "war" movie? Well, maybe. But not when I'm watching a Terminator flick. Terminator movies involve time travel and murderous robots.
Oh well. We'll have to see how well T3 performs at the box office as to whether a 4th installment will ever be done. [shrug]

In the end, not a bad movie. Especially for what we paid. (zero dollars)


And now, it's 1am, and I have to be to work at 7. Which means, basically, I'll be running on zero sleep. What fun!

Oh, and Simon, I always pronounce it Patrick's. I suppose "Pay-tricks" works, too, so whatever you feel comfortable with.

Lastly, I absolutlely love today's quote.

No comments: