Friday, July 18, 2003

My day so far:

Was woken up around 10 am by a phone call from Oregon. I talked to Apartment Girl (I forget her name) for a while, and in the end it seems their policy is that if we move there without a job, we'll need 3 times the amount of the lease in order to secure the apartment.
She said that she'd mail some information to us, which sounded good to me but I could not remember our home address for the life of me. It was highly embarrasing. I ended up going over to the bookshelf and glancing at the envelope from a card Chandler had sent us in order to spark my memory. Doh.
Oh well. Hopefully we'll get some Oregon based apartment info in a few days.

Oh yeah - funny (sorta) sidenote: Originally Apartment Girl asked for Stephanie. I told her that she was sleeping. At the end of the conversation, when I gave our address, after I said "Las Vegas", Apartment Girl kinda giggled and said, "Well, that explains the 'up all night'" Yup. We're really wild.

I fell asleep again, and had a mild Harry Potter dream. I all I really remember was that it was about the title for Book 6. I guess it's going to be called Harry Potter and the Fall of the Fire ...or something like that. It's definitely got "fall" in the title.

As an aside to this I must say to the Potterverse - "Get out of my dreams....and into my car."

Around 11, I got another phone call. This was from some guy trying to sell me something. Bah. I must remember to use that anti-telemarketer joke. "Why would I want to buy this when I'm going to kill myself as soon as I hang up with you?" [grin]

Sometime around 11:30 there was a knock on the door. It was FedEx, delevering the package that Annika had sent us. Excited, we opened it up...and found another package. I opened that, and discovered a video tape of The Wizard of Oz and a cassette tape. The tape was a mixed tape of "Driving" songs.
The cool thing - if you start the tape after the third roar of the lion at the start of Wizard of Oz, they match up perfectly. =)

The Wizard of Oz is a great movie. Saren had never seen it, so we all watched it today. I dig the fact that there are still parts that make me laugh. (Scarecrow, to the Wiz, after getting his "brains": "How can I ever thank you?"
The Wizard: "Well...you can't.")

After WoO was done, I washed some dishes, while Harper helped dry them. I had Ben Folds playing at the time, and I tried singing along with Still Fighting It, and my voice cracked. Stupid emotional me.

I read some of The Holy (by Daniel Quinn ...[insert blog readers shaking heads in dismay here]) and was, as per usual, floored by some of the things that are totally obvious, but mostly unexamined. Although I must admit that this book is much more ...subversive than his others. (At least so far) The "preaching" (heh. Pun.) is not nearly as loud here as it is in Ishmael or The Story Of B.

I then had to It was then that I decided to go to work. On the way, I popped in Annika's mixed tape. I'm only five songs in, but I like it. A lot. Annika picked some awesome tunes - and they're all (so far) things I've not heard before. Not only that, but they managed to a)make the drive to work seem short and b) distract me from my usual lines of thinking while I'm driving to work. Yay!!

Since I've been at work, nothing "exciting" has happened.

I went ahead and counted how many switches I make during a typical Friday. It's 49. That means that I have to push the "take" button 98 times in 8 hours. If we round that up to 100, and we be extremely generous and say that it takes 3 seconds to do that, that's 300 seconds worth of work. There are also 9 tapes that I need to cue up. If each of those takes a minute (and again, that's being generous), then that makes it 14 minutes of "work" in an eight hour shift. [eyebrow]

Of course, as Stephanie pointed out, the monitoring of the on-air product could be considered work, it's just not an "active" duty.

I guess the only other blog-worthy thing to mention right now is that I saw Metallica's newest video. It's set in San Quentin prison, and it's far too long. It's also far too crappy a song. But the video is interesting in that it seems to point out oh so many flaws in both our prison system, and our society (which, of course, is a prison in it's own way). Of course, I'm probably just projecting. [doh2]

No comments: