Saturday, October 07, 2006

Where the devil is.

I've decided to rework Wolf, and have it be my NaNovel this year.

The idea of a werewolf epidemic came to me yesterday and it's been spinning in my brain ever since. This thing could be big, if I do it right. (So, um, maybe NaNo isn't the right format for it, but who knows.) I haven't been this excited about a story idea since my (nonfinshed) Perth story of years gone by.

But.

[own worst critic] I've noticed that 1) I do not give enough details. It's a huge flaw in my writing. Of course, the (start of the) story below is just a first draft, but last night (and this morning) all I could think was of ways to rework the paragraphs and sentences and make them...better. More detailed. More... alive. Or at least more detailed.
2) All my story ideas seem to be similar: Some supernatural crisis happens. People react and survive. Not that there's anything wrong with that, per se, but ...I don't know. Can't really pinpoint exactly what I'm trying to say. Maybe I'm just upset(ish) that I don't have the whole plot laid out. (I didn't with the Perth tale, either. It was more of a "Oooh. What would people do if this freaky thing happened?") Maybe I don't need to have the whole thing planned, but... I don't know.
3) Um. I forget. I think I need to stop worrying about if things will be good [on a side note, I obviously succeeded even with the rough draft, judging by Annika's comment. Wolf is going to be a very dark story, and hopefully will cause a few shivers along the way.] and just worry about it getting it out. I've found that when I was writing my Perth story, that when I told myself - "Don't worry about what others think, just write it." that I was pretty happy with the results. Just hard to keep that advice constatnly in mind, ya know?[/own worst critic]

In other news... er. I don't remember. There was something else I really wanted to blog about, and now it's completely gone. I just keep thinking about Wolf. [sigh]

2 comments:

Amy said...

You can totally ignore any of my suggestions at any time. Including this one? Bah!

I think your last point is the most important. For most things. It's a big thing in acting, where you get distracted by trying to be "good." And if that's what you're thinking about, there's no way it will be good (or as good as it could be) because you're not giving your energy to what's important.

I think your ideas are really interesting. I'm not just saying that because I'm your friend. [not your friend]I still think you have interesting ideas.[/not your friend] The other day I found myself making doodles of some scenes in the Perth story. Fanart! And I hate everything, so, there you go.

Pretend you're not writing for anyone to read it. Or better yet, don't write for anyone to read it.

But then show me later anyway because I really want to know where the story goes.

Amy said...

Also, I really would like to hear a story about Slumbo Land. I don't care who writes it at this point.