Thursday, November 11, 2004

Special Guest Star: Oreo, the cat.

Whose name may actually just be "Cat!", but I digress.

Today is 11/11! Go numbers! I've altered the time-stamp to reflect and honor this.

It's also Kurt Vonnegut's birthday. Hooray! He's one of my favorite hairless apes. In honor, I'm reading Hocus Pocus which is a novel by him. I may throw in some quotes from it. If I can be arsed. [/Britishism]

Today is also Veteran's Day. Kurt Vonnegut is a veteran. Of World War 2! Man. That's like, historic. History.

Also, it's been brought to my attention that I don't speak enough of our cat. That's because he's no longer cute. He still exists, though. But he's generally pretty bitey. Or annoying. But we still love him! Currently, I have no idea where he is, but if I had to wager a guess, I'd say he's most likely sleeping in the bedroom.

In other news, Green Day's American Idiot is the album I most want to add to our collection. Go Green Day! Although, as I was telling Stephanie, the other day, I heard a radio commercial for Green Day coming in concert, and it ended with, "Green Day, produced by [name of some huge corporation]" and it made me sad that a PUNK band would allow themselves to associate with a huge corporation. I mean, yeah, Green Day sold out a long time ago, and I don't ultimately care what Green Day does...it just seems ...hypocritical, I guess, for a band that is supposed to represent an anti-establishment mentality to want money, fame, and mass marketing. Ya know?

I don't know. Hypocrites rule. I'm a hypocrite. He's a hypocrite. Wouldn't you like to be a hypocrite too?

In other other news...I had something, but I forget. Damnit. OH! I was going to ask about Attorney Generals. What exactly do they do? Are they attorneys? Or are they generals? Or neither? Is there some sort of army of lawyers out there? (Other than Wolfram & Hart, that is) And are there Attorney Corporals? And! There's the Surgeon General, too. Hmmm. Do all professions have an army? That's a strange thought.
Maybe, though, it's the wrong meaning of 'general', and there's an Attorney Specific out there somewhere, who simply doesn't get as much press time as the Attorney General.

6 comments:

Eileen said...

I think the Attorney and Surgeon General are figureheads of the armed forces. Sort of like the President being Commander in Chief even if he's never been enlisted in his life.

Although I could be completely wrong! I'm getting this from an episode of the West Wing where the Surgeon General hands in her resignation and she's wearing an armed forces uniform.

I need to get out more.

Anonymous said...

I thought I should inform you, P@, that you're three degrees of separation from Green Day. Thusly:
-you've met Amy
-Amy has met me
-I used to rent movies to Green Day. (Or at least Billy Joe, the lead singer; he had an account at the video store where I used to work.)

Yay?

Oh! And come to that, the same can be said of Carl Lumbly, who co-stars on ALIAS. He & his wife also had an account at my store. So there ya go.

-nkl

Simon said...

"Hello... Cat?!"

Also, major yay (hee!) for Britishisms! They are good.

Finally, I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't want to be a hypocrite too.

Amanda said...

Anyone else have the urge to point out that the plural of Attorney General is Attorneys General? No? Just me then? Alright.

From the AG's website: "The Attorney General, as head of the Department of Justice and chief law enforcement officer of the Federal Government, represents the United States in legal matters generally and gives advice and opinions to the President and to the heads of the executive departments of the Government when so requested. The Attorney General appears in person to represent the Government before the U.S. Supreme Court in cases of exceptional gravity or importance." (www.usdoj.gov/ag)

Amy said...

Pat - Heee! I know all about this! Not really, though.

Kirk - HOLY SHIT! I'm two degrees from Green Day!

P@ said...

Kirk - that's really freaking cool. Do you happen to remember what sort of movies either celebrity liked to pick out? I wonder how much about a person's true personality you can detect from their video rentals...

Anywhat, yay for it being a small world. [up]

Amanda - thanks for the info, and I apologize for the plurality messup. [grin]