Monday, December 02, 2002

So, seeing how it's all Decemberish, and three of the twenty-some-odd radio stations in town are playing holiday music (plus the spanish station that is playing Feliz Navidad NONSTOP!!), I thought I'd comment on some thoughts I've got on Xmas music.

My all time favorite line from any Xmas song ever?

The ox and lamb kept time.
From "The Little Drummer Boy".
For whatever reason, the thought of animals that dumb being able to keep time as though members of a band truly amuses me.

Then, there's the line from...something (I forget which song) that says in it:
There'll be scary ghost stories.
Um...at Xmas?!?!

Another line that bugs Steph is from "I'll be home at Xmas": presents on the tree
She insists that the presents should be under the tree. I'm fairly certain that presents used to go on the tree, and that it has historical creedence, but I agree that it is a silly line.

Speaking of Xmas music, and Cds (well, I wasn't talking about CDs, but I am now.) I saw the PERFECT Xmas compilation CD at Barnes & Noble the other day. It was called "Maybe this Christmas", and here's what made it ideal:
1) The first song was done by Phantom Planet
2) IT HAD A MONKEY ON THE FRONT!!!!
3) The other artists were all gen-x-y cool people too. (I forget who, exactly, but Ben Folds was in there, and Sense Field (whoever that is?) did a cover of "War is Over" that was actually half way decent. [up]

I didn't listen to the whole thing (much as I wanted to) but dude, if I had a spare $160, I'd've bought ten copies, and everyone would get one for the holiday.
So the moral is, people should send me money so I can buy things for them.

I had more Xmas song thoughts, but I'll add them later. maybe it can be a month long thing. You know how I am with "things". [doh2]

No comments: