Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Playing Hooky

If Hollywood is reading, feel free to steal this idea:

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off", for adults.

Have a nearly 40-something year old grown up decide to skip work (I'm thinking Ben Stiller [who is probably nearer to 50, but whatever or maybe Steve Carell, but that's probably because we've been watching a lot of The Office lately] but I guess Hollywood would probably go with like Seth Rogen or something.)
 And perhaps he decides to play hooky with his buddy(ies) (Ed Helms/that one guy that is always with Seth Rogen in his films/some SNL second-tier actor looking for his next break).
Or perhaps he has a healthy relationship with his teenaged son/daughter (God, I don't even know. Chloe Moretz would be awesome, because she is made of win. But I'm so out of touch with young actors/actresses, that I don't even know who they should go with) and decides he's going to have them skip school as well.

Anyway. Everyone is enjoying the day off (while having to, of course, avoid being found out by the boss/principal [is Edward Rooney still alive?]) and then it turns out that the freaking zombie apocalypse is happening.

In my mind, there is a line earlier in the film wherein someone says something along the lines of "Skipping work for one day isn't going to be the end of the world."

Or, perhaps slight variation - Grownup Ferris (or whatever his name would be - this wouldn't be a sequel to FBDO, after all, just a film made in the same vein) skips work, along with at least one or two friends, while trying to keep it a secret from the boss and kids. AND THEN the zombie apocalypse happens, and they have to get their kid out of school... and maybe nobody believes them about the ZA... I don't know.

Anyway. "Playing Hooky" would be the title, and while it would probably suck, I just have to say that I would watch the hell out of any movie that was "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" meets "Night of the Living Dead".

2 comments:

Annika said...

I approve of this story.

Amy said...

I would bet money that you could get Matthew Broderick to do this, actually.

It works on at least two levels.