Friday, April 13, 2012

true

"Hey there," said the as-yet-undefined character in her (his?) as-yet-undefined voice. "Wanna write about my adventure, parentheses s?"

"Are you speaking to me?" I asked in response.

"That's entirely up to you," the character replied. "But I suppose, yes, I am. So... do you?"

I considered. "Well," I said, "Maybe. I mean, I haven't even defined YOU yet, let alone what type of adventure, parentheses s, you would have that I'd be writing about."

The character (whom, I'm informed, would really like a name....and a gender) said, "Again, that would be up to you, ultimately. But, you know, we could find out together. Just start writing about my adventure -singular to start with - and see where it takes us."

That sounded sorta reasonable. So of course I had reservations. "Let me ask you this, character, why would you want ME to write about you? Don't you know the odds are that I will end up abandoning you mid-journey (or, even one-fourth-journey)? And your dialogue is going to be ... sub-par, at best."

"Witty response," the character wittily responded.

"I don't exactly know what to say to that." I said.  "But here's the thing. I truly don't know WHAT to do with you. Lately, as you are well aware, I have been having an extremely difficult time getting any writing done."

"No problem," was the comeback from the fictional individual, "you've already started, so we're on our way."

I looked it over and said, "Nicely done, but it hardly counts as an adventure - or a story, even."

"No, but it counts as a blog entry, doesn't it?"

No comments: