Sunday, June 08, 2003

When I left work today, it kinda occurred to me that nobody that works at the station likes being there. Nobody really likes anyone else there (well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but just slightly), and I think that for the majority of us, we're simply there because of force of habit. And money.
We get no real satisfaction from earning the station money (because, let's face it, that's what we're really doing. For each day that I get paid my 80 some-odd dollars, I'm sure the station is earning at least 8000) and yet we do it, day in and day out.

I was thinking earler that it might just be better to pack up the family and move to a rain forest, ala The Mosquito Coast. Of course, we won't do that, because we're far too dependant upon modern life. I love the internet. And television. And having a roof over my head. And eating Del Taco. And Pepsi (can't forget about the Nectar of the Gods). I hate driving (scratch that. I hate driving with 300,000 other people. Actually, I hate driving with even 30 other people on the road. I have issues), but I would hate to give up the car, and the tape deck, and the air conditioned air.
But the Mosquito Coast lifestyle does have it's appeal. Roughing it. Living life amongst nature. Actually learning something worthwhile. Getting my hands dirty, and accomplishing something. It would be great.

The downside, at least in the book, was that a) the father was a complete and utter lunatic. And b) despite taking himself (and his family) out of the city, he couldn't take the city out of himself. If that makes sense. It's been a while since I've read the book (and it is a really good book), but from what I recall, it seems that Father's plan was flawed in that he wanted to rebuild civilization. Civilization is flawed. If he had just tried to get away, and live the "simple" life, things would've been better.

Bah. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm down to the final 7 Buffys at work. I should wrap up on or near my birthday. Yay?

No comments: