Sunday, November 27, 2005

~~

I was planning on making this a stream of consciousness type of entry, and I will, but I think that it will be ...not as long as I had hoped, since my stream of consciousness seems to have hit a dam. heh. Dam of consciousness. I kinda like that term. Unfortunately, I don't like HAVING writer's block. I have gotten to 24,127 words in my story, which is 24,127 more words than I had a month ago, so yay for that. I keep getting hung up with wanting it to be "real". I want to do more research to ensure that I get the facts straight, which is just, I have realized, a stalling tactic. Although I do enjoy learning the facts. But, seriously, do I need to know exactly how Global Positioning Systems work when I'm going to be writing a story that involves robotic spiders from another universe?

No, not really.

Although, if someone can tell me if a person would be able to track something that had a GPS tracking chip (is that how it's even done? Through microchips that are tracked by satellites?) that doesn't belong to them, that would be somewhat beneficial. Otherwise, I'll simply take that fictional liberty and say that it can be done. Because it works in my story. So, yeah.

There are plenty of other times I've needed to just say "Well, this might not be how it is in the real world, but it's going to be this way for the sake of narrative." Like i said, I've recently realized that it was a way to stall for time, so hopefully I'll cut back on doing that. (Or try to. Because I am curious whether a car falling 150 feet would explode or not. Going on what I've seen in television and movies, the answer appears to be "sometimes". Additionally, would someone inside said vehicle be able to survive if it did NOT explode?.... and, yeah, I'll just have what works best for my story be what happens, "reality" and "physics" be damned.)

In non nano news (heh) - you know the whole thing where people put the coins on the eyes of the dead so they could pay Charon to cross the River Styx? Well... since we don't do that anymore, how are people getting across? I figured maybe they were using their credit cards, but 1) people aren't generally buried with their MasterCards (are they?) and 2) once you're dead, I think they tend to cancel those types of things, so I doubt that the Boatman of the Dead is really accepting of them.
Heh. Imagine that commercial:
Funeral: $5000
Casket: $2500
Having money to cross the River Styx: Priceless

Hee.

I can't believe that I have to go back to work tomorrow. The past four days went by really quickly. I mean, I enjoyed them, and wasn't thinking about work while I was off, but it's just ...man, they're gone already. Bummer.

I was going to incorporate pictures - sometimes prevalent to what I was talking about, sometimes just random - in my blog entry (entries? Make it a gimmick?) but I just don't want to go through the work of finding stuff online, saving it to the computer and uploading it through blogger. If I could just not worry about the whole 'stealing bandwidth' issue it would be much easier. Bah. Ownership.

I found five bucks today. That was a nice surprise. Wish I could repeat that little magic trick, but I do believe that we are now officially out of cash until payday.

It's weird, the official start of winter is still several weeks away, but it is COLD outside now. I wonder when (if?) the dates of the seasons starting will ever be changed to reflect the fact that the weather no longer really matches the calendar.

ANd now it has been eight years, so I'm done typing things up.

Besides, there's a crime about to be committed in this quiet neighborhood, so I need to go make sure everyone is safe.

1 comment:

CosmicAvatar said...

Know what you mean about the realism and the inner editor. I've had an SAS survival manual, Visual Encyclopaedia and, ahem, a book on dinosaurs on my dining table while writing this story. I have been immensely proud each time I just went, "sod it, XX kilometres, I'll put the exact amount in later".

KEEP GOING. It does get easier, promise.