Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Another long blog entry. One of those ones where I write periodically
throughout the day, adding to it as I think of things. And I should be
working on my story. Which I will be. Right now I'm at 16,029.

First things first.

It's time for one of my favorite segments in the P@rix (and hopefully
one of yours as well) - Viewer Message Time!!

I'll transcribe another message that was left on my voice mail. Yay!
This one is from an older (sounding) gentleman - sounds about 60ish.
Also, his last name and phone number will be omitted. And here we go:

Yes, Mister Patrick [my last name], this is Art [his last name] [and
then he spells it!!]. Phone numbers: [he gives me two phone numbers to
reach him at]. Uh. My question is, why was the 7th Heaven show canceled?
It's one of the best shows you've got on TV. And my next question is, is
when is Jerry Springer gonna either get off the air or put on some new
shows? The ones he's got now is boring. And... you could put something
better on then Jerry Springer. And... what... the the problem is... you
might give it some thought is if there was more shows on like 7th
Heaven, and less shows on with, uh like detective stories and blood and
guts, and all this other crap that's on, uh, there might be less crime
in the United States. And put on more of these family shows like 7th
Heaven, and whether the ratings are bad or not, if you get enough of 'em
on there, they'll either have to watch 'em, or...or put a movie in their
set, one or the other. But at least give some uh clean, healthy type
entertainment for the people to watch instead of all this garbage. So.
That might be a thought that you might put to some of these lunatics
that dream up these stupid shows. So I'd appreciate a call from ya.
Thank you very much and have a nice day.



Money. Fucking. Sucks. Period.



thuwhu. keelsh and tooshj.

Yeah.

Okay, back to my story. Oh. But first: The otehr day when I was talking
about coincidences, Simon left the comment saying "Coincidence? I think
not." which was totally a great pop culture catchphrase for a while.
(where did that originate anyway? From those Time-Life Mysteries of the
Universe commercials? That's what my memory is telling me, but I can't
be sure.)
Anyway, what I want it replaced with is "Coincidence? I think so!"
Because EVERYTHING is a coincidence.
And the great thing about everything being a coincidence is that you can
be either awestruck OR dismissive, depending on how you feel about the
situation.
Example:
"Whoa. That's an amazing coincidence! How weird, man." <---Awestruck.
"Pfft. That's just a coincidence." < ---Dismissive.

Yay!

Now, coincidentally, I'm going to go back to work on my novel. Or back
to work on my work. One of the two.




16222. And it's lunch time. I'm not making nearly as much progress as I
had hoped, but what are you gonna do, starve? Heh.




Ruck Fules. Heeee! Some dork in the audience of the Maury Povich show
had that on his shirt. Oddly, the syndicators blurred it twice, but left
it alone the other five times he was visible. Man, censorship is not
only annoying, it's also pretty damn stupid. I mean, at least be
consistent if you're going to limit people's freedoms.

Speaking of enforced rules that blow (okay, I wasn't, technically, but I
didn't have a better segway ...or is it segue?), I must now go check on
some of our movies to ensure that they are closed captioned. Because,
see, starting in 2006 - which is just forty six days away - the FCC has
mandated that everything, with some exceptions (because there are always
exceptions ...except when there aren't), everything must be closed
captioned.
And that means that any movies we have in our movie library that are NOT
captioned (which, ironically, looks like it might be about 53%) can no
longer run. Thanks a ton, FCC!

And, actually, the above statement is not entirely true. The movies CAN
run if they are lacking captioning. It is just that if the FCC were to
find out about it, our station would most likely be fined as a result.
So, as always, it comes down to money.

Can someone please shoot this culture in the head?





The wind is freaking cold. What is up with that? Did I get transported
to the arctic and not know it? Brr, man. Brr.



The fact that i keep wanting to revise my story as I go is irritating. I
should just be focusing on writing. Foing goward. Or going forward, if
you prefer to be spoonerism free (aka foonerism spree). But, yeah. There
will be plenty of time for revision later. And eesh, is it going to need
it. Partr (part, rather) of me wants to just publish it on my blog
anyway, and screw the idea of trying to get it published as a book (or a
movie) because, really. Really. Plus. Word count! But, honestly. Is it
going to get published? Well, most likely, no. I don't know. It needs a
lot of work. In fact, I should work on it now.

Word count tally: Story = 16,531.
This blog entry (excluding the words: "Word count tally: Story = 16,531.
This blog entry (excluding the words: "Word count tally: Story =
16,531") = 916.

Nine sixteen? Bah!
Also. Sixteen five thirty one? Double bah! I need at least 1,018 words
in this blog entry. And at least 9 times that many in my story. Not
good. It's already 3pm. No time! I hate it.



It's much later in the day now. I didn't hit the halfway mark, and I got an inspirational email from the Nanowrimo folks about how Week Three (which we're now in) is supposed to be where things start to flow and come together and I'm totally not that way with my story, but thanks for thinking of me anyway, guys.
And there was a big ta-doo today and it's been an extremely long day and I love Stephanie so freaking much and even though SHE doesn't agree, she totally is a superhero.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh man, I have so much to say.

1. That old dude is right. There's very little on television that matches 7th Heaven, in terms of quality.

2. I would certainly want to know what the origin of "Coincidence? I think not!" is. I bet The Love Of My Life™, William Safire would know. I wouldn't ask, though, because I suspect it has an easily traceable origin, like Sherlock Holmes, or something.

3. Ruck Fools would be the perfect name for an Alan Ruck fan site.

4. It's totally segue.

5. Can't they just ... add closed captioning? I have no idea how closed captioning works. I never use it. Ever.

6. Dude, I will make up my own publishing company and publish your book. How's that! I mean ... I've got paper.

7. I have suspected that Stephanie is a superhero.

8. cegbmtr

CosmicAvatar said...

I know what you mean about the NaNo thing. My second wind lasted about a day and now I'm making big with the drivel again.

Ruck Fools! Hahahaha!