Monday, June 21, 2004

The longest day

Get it? Cuz today is the solstice, so we get more hours of sunlight today than any other day.

Also, it's been a really long day because last night I worked an overnight shift. (!!!) I haven't worked that shift in four years, and wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it, but I pulled it off. The 8 hours flew by, mostly due to the fact that I was able to stay busy the entire time. Well, that and the 64 ounces of Pepsi.

I got home shortly after 7am, and went to sleep until 10:30. That's all the sleep I've had. But! The amazing thing is, I'm not UTP@!!

Oh, wait, I slept again after the pool. See, at 11, the Las Vegas Life Learners (the local Unschooling group we belong to) had a Summer Solstice party at a pool. We spent five hours there. Five HOT hours. And despite the fact that all of us are more tan (or burnt) than when we first arrived, we all had a very good time. Sandra and Holly Dodd were there, and we actually got to talk to her for a while. She's an incredibly nice lady. And Saren bonded very well with Holly.

I'm glad that this group was started. The Homeschool Melting Pot group that we were members of ....I don't know. I guess it's simply too big. Everytime we attended something with that group, it felt (to me) like we were outsiders looking in on a clique. This group is different. Partly due to it's smaller size. Partly due to it's newness. Partly due to the fact that the members are unschoolers, rather than just homeschoolers. In short, they're good people.

So after the pool, we came home, and I took a short nap. I had weird half-awake-half-dreaming type of thoughts that I can't recall now. Something about boundaries, and how they're flexible and amorphous and arbitrary and ...you know. I'm not talking just land-based boundaries. But learning boundaries as well. Maybe all boundaries. I can't explain it, mostly because it was all jumbled in my head as I was sleeping anyway. Hmmm. I know I said I wasn't UTP@, and I'm not, but perhaps I'm bordering on becoming him. I'm in that nebulous grey area between P@ and UTP@. And that makes a lot of sense to me. Which probably proves nothing, but there ya go.

In other news, I need to come up with a lot of questions for the month of July. People should email me.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Dude! I got unnecessarily darken by the sun yesterday as well! Not good times. But I'm glad that you enjoyed group activities! And that you did not become UTP@.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should call that grey area "TP@".

Simon