Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Bad Associations

There are certain songs that become associated with moments in your life (or, in the instances I'm about to talk about, are associated with television/movies you've seen) that you wish ...weren't.

Here are two quick examples:

Mony, Mony by Billy Idol.
There was an episode of Beverly Hills, 90210 that featured this song when the girls were having a slumber party at Brenda's house.
It was a completely cheesy scene (um, duh, P@, it was season one of Beverly Hills 90210!) and it ruined a perfectly decent song. I mean, seriously, why has my brain retained that?? Bah!

The other song is Losing My Religion by R.E.M.
Whenever I hear this, I think of two things. One is the awesome music video, which is a good association. But then I also think about how that was the song that was played when Brenda and Dylan broke up at the end of season one of Beverly Hills 90210.

And, yes, those two examples are predominately on my mind due to the fact that the remade 90210 is going to be starting in about 30 seconds...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed it. Was it any good?

I have strong emotional associations with smells. Magnolia reminds me of sitting in the window seat in my Grandma Foster's bathroom. There was a huge magnolia tree right outside the window and it smelled heavenly.

Aramis cologne reminds me of my first serious breakup.

Grey Flannel cologne by Geoffrey Bean gets me all hot and bothered and I'm not going to tell you why...it would make me blush.

P@ said...

Was it any good?

Erm.... it was 90210. But more risque, for the aughts! (Man, I nearly typed "90s". Ugh, I'm getting old.)

The first act had a boy getting a blowjob in his car right before school. Family entertainment, that!

Actually, I watched most of the first hour, then got bored and kinda sorta kept an eye on hour 2 while surfing the net. It seemed entertaining enough for what it was, but it's no longer my cup of tea.
If you're absolutely interested, the CW is repeating it tomorrow night.

Simon said...

They remade 90210?! I am so behind the times. How, though, can you mess with a classic?

Mindi Scott said...

Now that I know about the blowjob, I am so much more intrigued!

Anonymous said...

What Min said.