Sunday, September 14, 2008

K

This'll be brief, as it is very late - we just returned from having a date night out, we went to dinner & saw "Burn After Reading", which is very funny - plus I don't have a lot to say about the K items. Well, except...

Book:
I actually grabbed 4 books this time around. I picked up Tick Tock by Dean Koontz as well as Odd Thomas by the same. I also grabbed The Colorado Kid by Stephen King and A Disorder Peculiar to the Nation by Ken Kalfus.

I read all of Tick Tock (325/you), and was upset with myself for days afterward. WHY do I continue to torture myself with Koontz books? I know they're going to suck, and yet...
As I was reading this one, I was thinking, "Well, this is undeniably a lame-ass Koontz book - it's got the too-perfect protagonist, the beyond-perfect-and-also-independently-wealthy-female-love-interest, it's set in California - at night - while raining, and they're up against unbelievable odds. But at least there isn't a dog."

And then I got to page 125, where Scootie was introduced, and while I didn't say, "Oh for fuck's sake" and throw the book (I was on the bus at the time, and would've probably hit another passenger), I really wanted to.
It's not that I dislike dogs, it's just that Koontz puts an uber-intelligent canine in every.single.story. And he sings their praises non-freaking-stop. Just...enough, dude. We get it. You like dogs. How about making some realistic human characters instead? Or realistic dialogue. Or cut back on the similes. Or remove some of the editorializations (surprisingly this story didn't include any digs at psychology or proselytizing for Christianity, but nearly every other novel he's written in the past ten years has). Or learn what true humor is (Koontz is like a robot who has looked wit up in the dictionary, but doesn't quite grasp how it works).
Bah!

I started reading A Disorder Peculiar to the Country on September 11th, which was apt, since that's when the novel takes place (to begin with). I quickly zoomed through the first 110 pages, and then stopped for the night. ...and then I just lost interest somehow. It was good while it lasted, but once I put it down, I simply couldn't get back into it. [shrug]

I didn't even crack Colorado Kid or Odd Thomas. But after reading Tick Tock, I have sworn off Koontz (again) for good. Well, except for whenever the 3rd Frankenstein book comes out. I'll read that, just because I need to know how that story finishes. But, seriously. If I ever think about picking up another Dean Koontz book, smack me.

CD
I heard the new Kaiser Chiefs song - "Never Miss a Beat" on the radio about two days before we went to the library, and I liked it, so when I saw their first album, "Yours Truly, Angry Mob", I figured, "this might be good!"
And it was!

DVD
I got the 2005 King Kong remake, partly because the K selection was pretty slim, and partly because I'd never seen that. While it's a bit long at 3 hours, I got to say, it was a very engrossing movie, and the T-rex/T-rex/T-rex/Kong battle was AWESOME.

3 comments:

CosmicAvatar said...

I agree - that King Kong battle is just AWESOME. I've been known to yank the DVD out just to watch that scene.

Anonymous said...

I've only read two Dean Koontz novels and have given up on him. It amazes me that you keep giving him chances!

P@ said...

It amazes me that you keep giving him chances!
Me too!! ;)