Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The two titles I had for this entry were: "I'm having Disney spells" and "Fiscal irresponsibility is fun". Neither was really grabbing me, so I opted to go titleless.

So. Here's how it went down:

Saturday, around noon: Steph was wearing her Disneyland shirt. I said something along the lines of, "Man, Disneyland is great." The idea of taking a spontaneous trip down there, using my credit card to finance said trip, came up and was batted around for a while. I made some arguments against it - my stance basically being, "Yeah, it would be great fun, but we really shouldn't, because, you know, debt?"
And the response was, "Yes, but it's fun."

And so we talked to the 8-ball, who confirmed that we should "MOST LIKELY" go to Disneyland, and we got ready, and around 5pm, we got on the freeway.

Woo!

We arrived at the hotel in time to watch a tiny bit of SNL (the first act only, because we had a long day ahead of us, plus, you know, the open & Weekend Update are the only good things about that show anymore) and then we went to sleep.
We woke up Sunday, had the Continental Breakfast (read: Corn Flakes) and then drove around parts of Anaheim looking for a working ATM so we could have cash on hand. (Never did find one out there. We wound up getting money from an ATM inside Disneyland instead.)

We got to Disneyland's parking garage at 9:11am, and into the park itself around 9:30.

Highlights of the day in the Happiest Place on Earth include:
Space Mountain (that theme music is just rocking)
Big Thunder Mountain (the wildest ride in the willllderness!)
Star Tours (although I really believe they need to change it up some. It's been the exact same 'movie' for nearly 20 years now. [holy crap. i'm old] But, really, with that type of ride, you'd think creating a new adventure wouldn't be that difficult, and it would be a bigger draw for people to come back if they knew that it would be different every now and again, ya know?)
the Matterhorn (downside to this - during this ride Saren's digital camera got dropped [in the bobsled] and wound up ruined as a result. Majorly uncool. We're planning on taking it back to the store we got it from and/or seeing about getting it repaired)
Splash Mountain
Astro Blasters (a Buzz Lightyear based ride where you can shoot lasers at different targets as you move around, with each target you hit, adding 100 points to your score. I got a total of 47,200. Because I'm cool.)
Autopia (not a lot of fun, really, but the girls like(d) it)
Winnie the Pooh Ride (mostly for Irina's reaction to this. She was in heaven on this. Mostly because she is on a "Winnie the Pooh Pooh" kick lately.
The Haunted Mansion (was all decked out in it's Nightmare Before Xmas garb, which, in my opinion, makes it better)

After hours of walking and riding and spending more credit-card-money on way overpriced food, we decided to head back home. We left the parking garage at 9:11pm. And as we were driving home, I began to do that head-bobbing-because-I'm-falling-asleep thing, so, to make a long story short (too late!), in Barstow we stopped and got a hotel for the night, and the next day I called in to work.

We got back into Las Vegas Monday afternoon (when I blogged briefly) and spent the remainder of the day recuperating from the exhausting outing.
As for the expenditures? Well, ironically, today Capital One sent me an email from their Fraud Department, wanting to confirm some of the latest charges. (I was honest and confirmed them. When will I learn??) But I'm not really worried about the fact that we can't afford to have spent all that extra cash. I mean, pretty soon the government is going to bail us out. ...Right?

All in all, the Spontaneous Trip to Disneyland 2008 was a lot of fun, and I'm glad that we went, even if we ended up paying for it in several ways.

And lastly, since this is the final day of September (where does the time go??), here's the Wordle Cloud for the entries from this month.

6 comments:

Mindi Scott said...

That is so awesome! Even my most impulsive trips (like that time I got married in Vegas) are always planned out 4-6 weeks in advance. I want to try it your way!

CosmicAvatar said...

Yay Disneyland! Awesome.

Amy said...

"Whaaaaaa? Disneyland?"

Anonymous said...

Your girls are the perfect age. We went when Ems was about Irina's age and my favorite photo of her ever is sitting on Cinderella's lap with a look of wide-eyed wonder. You made a great decision. Money is transient. These memories with your girls will last forever.

Did it disturb you that Sarah Palin and McCain were prominent in your Wordle? Perhaps it is a right wing subterfuge via the internet.

P@ said...

Heh. It didn't really disturb me, Cindy, but I admit that I will be happy when it's November 5th...

Anonymous said...

Me too!