Thursday, August 07, 2008

Worthwhile

So, lately, the stuff i've been watching has been...less than stellar? Three movies in a row have been eh.
The Frighteners - which is one of my "F" movies - was superbly awful. (More on that in a few days when I cover my "F" choices)
Then last night we watched Terminator 3, which I knew was a weak installment. The girls agreed. (Spoilers ahead for T3)
Harper said that it wasn't as good as 2, and the things that bothered her the most were that Sarah Connor died. (I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!)
And also, that "Big John" was not as cool as "Little John". She also said that "Big John" reminded her of that "guy from Buffy". I tried to figure out who she meant - it wasn't Xander - and today it hit me...she probably meant Johnathan, since we recently watched Superstar.... edit. I just went and asked her again, and she informed me she was thinking of "the guy that Willow loves". Oz? Really? I guess there's a slight resemblance.
Anyway. Saren said that 3 was funnier than the others, but that it didn't make it better. Very true.
Tonight we watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which ...didn't hold up as well as I had thought it would. I mean, parts of it were still chuckle-worthy, but overall, not that great a movie. Definitely better in my memory.

So my question is - what are some movies that you guys have seen recently that have been worthwhile? Because I'm getting kinda sick of watching things that wind up being letdowns.

6 comments:

Simon said...

Ah, see, the movies I've liked recently were Wall-E and The Dark Knight... which you've already seen. Darn.

Anonymous said...

We re-watched Roger Rabbit probably, oh, eight years ago. So not recently, but as adults. And I remember still liking it, and thinking it held up better than I expected. Not that that means anything since I expected to think it was awful. But anyway. Interesting.

Also, I haven't seen T3 and I highlighted the spoilers anyway! I am living on the EDGE.

Anonymous said...

As for movies I've seen recently...

Um, Sam watches the most TV around here. He likes My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Toy Story.

We watched the first half of Fido and it was pretty good, but the disc skipped so we didn't see the rest. It could have gone either way, so I can't really recommend it.

Actually recent movies I've seen are Iron Man (excellent) and The Fall (best movie I have EVER seen, so that should screw up expectations nicely).

Anonymous said...

I've seen nothing lately. I did watch a chick flick the other day on Netflix online called Love and other Disasters that had some quote worthy dialog and a great bit on the relationship "fart meter" but I don't really think it's a family movie or really even a guy's movie.

Barring that...rent Dr. Who. It's awesome.

And I vote with Annika, I liked Roger Rabbit when I saw it again recently. But I REALLY like cartoons.

P@ said...

Annika,
Fido is in our queue (and has been for a very long time. We need to step up our DVD watching, apparently. Or I need to move it up closer to the top. Pity you didn't get to see it all. Remind me after I watch it, and I'll let you know how it ends. :)
Cindy,
I'm probably going to alienate a lot of folks here, but... I have zero interest in seeing Dr. Who, despite the buttload of hype it gets from everyone.

CosmicAvatar said...

In the cinema: Iron Man and The Dark Knight have been the two really good ones for me.

On TV/DVD: Blade Runner, AI (except for the last 15-odd minutes, where I always want to switch it off), Aliens, The Fifth Element, Ghostbusters (OK, the FX are very ropey, but it's still one of my favourite comedy films), The Green Mile, Minority Report. I also watched Star Wars Ep III and Starship Troopers, although I suspect that might be more of a personal pleasure than an exercise in worthwhile film-watching...