Sunday, August 31, 2008

spELlcaster Part 3

I led the two agents into my living room, mentioning them toward the couch, while I headed toward the kitchen. "Either of you care for something to drink? I've got bottled water, or I can put on some tea or coffee."

Stone, sitting on the couch, shook her head. "I'd rather just get to business, if that's okay with you, El."
Sticks was still walking around the living room, investigating my bookshelf, looking at the artwork on my walls, taking it all in. The stress of having these two intruders in my home was building. Especially given my history with their organization. If they truly needed my help, they could've been much more personable, and at least attempted to put me at ease.

I ground my teeth and opened the fridge, grabbing myself a bottle of Aquafina and making my way back into the living room. I stood, leaning against the wall, facing Stone. I took a sip of the water and said, "So. How'd you guys find me?"

Stone raised an eyebrow slightly. "I thought that would've been obvious. The RDA is able to track all spellcasters. Of course, having several in our employ is helpful, as well."

Now it was my turn to raise an eyebrow. "I didn't think that the RDA was still using spellcasters. After the president was turned into a dinosaur during..."

Stone cut me off, "Yes, that was an unfortunate misfire."

"Well, bending can be unstable," I said. "Which is part of the reason I've stopped."

The two agents shared a look at each other. Sticks spoke up, "You are still able to bend?"

Offended, I said, "Of course I can! I just choose not to. It does take a toll on us, you know. There are many reasons why bending shouldn't be done. Least of which is the accidental transformations of political figures. When we spellcasters bend, we are fucking with reality. Playing God isn't something that should be done on a consistent basis."

Stone cleared her throat, stopping my tirade. "Well, you may change your tune when you see what we have to show you."

"Yeah," I said, "you mentioned that the Fumans have returned."

"It appears so," Stone said, "two weeks ago, one was spotted outside of Wiluna, Australia."

Despite not wanting to get reinvolved, my interest was piqued. "Did it take anyone? I don't remember hearing about this on the news."

"We kept it away from the media," Stone responded, "but, no, this time it didn't take anybody. It left something. In fact, it was a seed."

No comments: