Wednesday, August 13, 2008

darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there

Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles

Randomish entry here folks. Lots on my mind. You've been warned!

(In my mind, that "You've been warned!" sounded extremely ominous. I think it lost something in the translation between brain and screen, though.)

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind folks that on the last day of August, there's a gimmick going on that everyone should participate in. (if you feel like it. but you totally should feel like it.)
I'm planning on doing all 12 hours myself, but I'm still looking for a CD with 12 tracks to generate titles/ideas...

The nearest McDonald's to our house has been demolished. Um, purposely. Apparently they're going to rebuild it all high-tech-like. If the pictures of a futuristic looking McDonald's on the fence outside the demolition site are to be believed, that is. I hope it is. FutureDonald's! Woot! Flying cars & (killer) robots & Sausage McMuffins with Egg 24 hours a day!!

From the "I'm not made of money!" file - 7-Eleven recently raised the prices on refills of Big Gulps. From 79 cents [eighty-five with tax] to 89 cents [ninety-six with tax]. Yeah, yeah, everything's going up, but still. That's almost a dollar! For refilling my cup? And the weird thing is that the price for a new cup didn't increase. So basically all they did was lower the incentive to reuse the ones I already own. I'm not happy with this plan at all.

Also from the "not made of money" file, but additionally filed in "you have got to be kidding" - we received a letter today stating that a Park Restoration Project will be (or already has been) done on the park behind our house. (I'm voting "will be", because, um, no. There's been no work done on it that we can see.)
Anyway. This project apparently will/did cost $66,000, and since we are the owners of said park, we need to pay this. ....Yeah. A phone call or two is in order here. Because I seriously doubt that Stephanie and I truly own that park (although how cool would it be if we did?) so, um. Guess I'll be dealing with contractors and maybe folks from the City of Las Vegas tomorrow in order to get this straightened out. Either that, or they can try to collect the money owed them from us...ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I've viewed 75 movies this year, there are 140 days left. Not quite a movie a day left, but I need to step up a bit.

Rementioning the Blogathon.

I need a haircut again. It's only been 2.5 months since I last had one, but I guess that's long enough. How often do normal people cut their hair?

How can it be 103 degrees outside (at almost 7pm) and yet my feet are freezing?

So there's a managerial position at work coming open - which would mean more money, although more stress - and I'm going to apply for it. My confidence in getting the position waxes and wanes on almost a daily basis. Gotta love the rat race.

And...wrapping this up, I'll just do a request of youtube videos that have made you smile or laugh or whatever recently.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Ditch the exclamation mark and put it in italics.

Also, how can they put tax on something that doesn't cost a dollar? I thought it was "per dollar".

I get a hair cut approximately once every two and a half years. Follow my lead.

Also, I discovered this today, and it cracked me right up:
http://staythirstymyfriends.com
It's an ad campaign, so there's lots of bits and pieces around the internet

Anonymous said...

tax is a percentage, Amy.

every six weeks.

current: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5wvycotuo

classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j3Ka4PhAQY

-Kirk

P@ said...

I gotta say, the Ting Tings definitely excel at creating songs that get stuck in your head.

Amy said...

No, seriously, how can you have tax on something that doesn't cost a full dollar?

Stephanie said...

You just... do? Like, 7.75% of fifty cents is .038 cents, or 4 cents, so whatever it was would be 54 cents. Right?

Amy said...

Really? I swear I'm not from Mars or anything, I've been a consumer for almost a quarter-century!, but I don't think I've ever paid tax on anything under a dollar, ever. Like, if it's 99 cents, you just pay 99 cents.

Also, there's no tax on food (e.g. slushies) here. [hugs New Jersey]

Stephanie said...

Well, there's no tax on food here either, but I guess some things don't count (like pepsi from the soda fountain). I've never paid enough attention to know exactly which ones. I wonder if they tax twinkies, for instance.

Amy said...

Update: My mother suggests that I may, in fact, be from Mars.

My world is askew right now, seriously. I can only think, 1. maybe I've never bought anything under a dollar that required tax? I mean, how many things cost under a dollar these days, seriously? 2. I can't count. 3. I'm ignorant of the value of money.

Something to ponder, I guess. THANKS, PAT'S BLOG.

CosmicAvatar said...

Do the (killer) robots deliver? That would be awesome.

Things on YT that have made me giggle recently (probably old, but what the hey):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VV0dZzArCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y22p2PmJizA

(I have the latter - and S1 - on DVD as well but it's just quicker to load it on my YT favourites)

Oh, hot off the press! Bwaha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHL7G76XDQg

Anonymous said...

Whilst everyone else is amazed at the cost of Big Gulps, all I can think is, "P@ and Stephanie own a park?!"

Oh and there is some YouTube hilarity over at Drop Edge of Yonder.

Good luck with applying for the new job at work. You should be very confident...mainly because I think your innate awesomeness speaks for itself.