Sunday, August 03, 2008

E

Books:
Category 7 by Bill Evans & Marianna Johnson (so, um, I guess this could count as my "J" book, too?) 383 pages, last word "sushi".

This was about "the biggest storm in history". A hurricane that is so massive, they had to create a whole new category for it (in real life, hurricanes only go up to 5) that hits New York. There's a way to stop the storm, using a top-secret military weapon - but the catch is that it has to be used in the hurricane.
So, basically, it's a disaster movie, but in book form. Except that this book has nothing to do with the other Category 7 (that made-for-tv movie with the same name from a few years back) - and that's a very good thing, because that was really bad.
Not that the book was all superb or anything. In fact, as time has gone on, i've lowered my opinion on the book quite a bit. When reading it, it was enjoyable, although very slow moving for the first 200-or-so pages. But once the storm actually hit the city, it became incredibly intense and not-put-downable.
All good so far.
But, the denouement was...nonexistent? And at least one of the characters' behavior was beyond comprehension. (Climbing out the window? Really?)
But, up til then, it was good enough to keep my interest. And the idea of weather manipulation is presented in a very intriguing (and possibly?) realistic manner, so there's some food for thought. Overall, if you happen to pick the book up, go for it, but it's not one that you have to absolutely read.

Music:
I had 3 discs in the E category, because I just couldn't choose one.
I'll save the best for last.
First up was The Vegas Years by Everclear. This album is a bunch of covers. I picked it up because I do like Santa Monica a lot ("swim out past the breakers, watch the world die" = great lyric, imo) and I'm willing to listen to cover songs, since, I, you know, know them, usually.
But this was bad.
Really. Really. Really bad.
I couldn't get through the whole disc, honestly. Sorry, guys. I'll still listen to Santa Monica, and even Father of Mine, but perhaps they should just stick to original material, and leave covers to ...other people.

Next up is What Are You On? by East River Pipe.
The songs on here were really short, and started off pretty decent, but it seemed like each one didn't quite live up to its full potential somehow. I don't know. I liked it, but I guess not enough to keep it.

Last, and certainly not least, was Meet the Eels: Essential Eels 1996 - 2006, Vol. 1.
Now, I've heard the Eels before - in fact, we own Daises of the Galaxy, and Beautiful Freak was one of the last cassette tapes I ever bought (sadly, I don't have that anymore, as I wore it out. Confusingly, I've never gotten around to replacing it in the musical library either on CD or electronically), so I knew going in that I'd like at least some of the songs on this.
Fortunately, I enjoyed 98% of them! (The "Get Ur Freak On" cover, while amusing, doesn't quite seem to fit. And the final two tracks were ..eh, but dude. Eels = love.)
Bonus? It's a two-disc collection, with disc 2 being 12 music videos of the Eels. AWESOME!!
The Eels are not only creative musically, but when they make music videos (remember when you didn't have to go to youtube in order to see those?), they go all out. Here's a couple for your enjoyment:
First, their first, "Novocaine for the Soul". Yay for flying Eels (heh)!



Now, "Rags to Rags", which, in addition to being a great song, has a hilarious video. Crotch shot!



and, this one takes a really odd turn...



Okay. I could go on, but it's getting late. Just trust me. Eels are awesome.

Movies:
I had two, but only watched one.
The film I didn't watch was End of the Spear, about some missionaries who live with a tribe that was cut off of civilization. I didn't watch it mostly out of time restraints. Maybe I'll pick it up at some later date in the future.
The one I did watch was Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. And, yes, it was as cheesy as I expected. The weird thing is, I found myself feeling more sympathy for the saucermen than the earthlings. I doubt highly that was the intended result, but there ya have it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude! Nice use of the word denouement. See, if I'd written that, I'd been all lame and used perhaps "up shot" but denouement brings it to a whole 'nother level. [up]