Tuesday, August 05, 2008

"What do you think about?" "....Jumping Jacks."

Two days ago, we watched the first two Terminator movies.
Finally, the girls have some context for when we play "terminator" (which is more or less just 'tag', wherein I chase them by walking in a robotic fashion).

One hilarious thing I noticed this time around during the first movie - when Lt. Traxler asks for a cigarette, and his partner hands him the carton, only for him to realize he's already got a lit one in his other hand. Just a tiny throw away scene, but it made me chuckle.

Other thoughts from the first movie - Saren asked about Pugsley, which I found amusing, because I remember also being curious about the iguana's fate. I really hope that the series mentions him at some point. Or maybe someone should write some fanfic regarding the lizard...

Harper said that the only scary part was when "the Terminator was taking out his eye".
Personally, I think the only scary part is the hair on Ginger (Sarah's roommate/friend), but the eye-removal scene was pretty gruesome.

T2 was loved by the girls. They were both pretty upset by the fact that Terminator died in the end. And Saren and I have discussed some of the finer points of time-travel paradoxes. (Namely - why is John still there if the future has been changed? Still one of my biggest peeves from the whole mythology.)

Harper's favorite line: "You can't go around killing people!"
"Why?"

We picked up T3 from the library on Sunday as well, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I've warned them that it's not quite as good as the first two, but they're still interested.

And starting this Sunday, Fox will be reairing the Sarah Connor Chronicles, season 1, in preparation for season 2. Yay for killer robots from the future!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I [heart] The Terminator, and while I think T2 is actually a terrible movie it is just SO MUCH FUN. And Sarah Connor Chronicles is great. Great!

Kirk said...

You are now officially an Awesome Parent. (Not that you weren't before, but now it's official.) I also wanted to say thanks to Steph for answering my earlier R-rated question, and to say that that was the most sensible answer I've ever heard to that question. I still think T2 is the best movie of its kind ever made, so I'm glad Saren & Harper liked it. Robert Patrick was the best. casting. ever.

I saw a few episodes of the TV show, it didn't really grab me. Oh, but Mary-Jane just informed me that the lead singer of Garbage is apparently going to appear in the coming season.

Mindi Scott said...

Time-travel paradoxes make my head hurt. I mean, I love movies with time travel, but I get so confused when I try to make sense of them.

Anonymous said...

"That coffees 2 hours cold-"

"So what."

"I put out a cigarette in it."

Lance Henrikson makes that movie for me, all his little scene-stealing moments...

Amy said...

Awkward confession time: I've never seen T2.

[horrified silence]

P@ said...

But...the...how...whaaaaa....??

CosmicAvatar said...

I LOVE the first two Terminator movies (I think T2 outstrips the original for sheer ooomph). T3 had a great car chase, but otherwise left me pretty cold.