Sunday, August 31, 2008

I

Before getting started on the blogathon posts, I figured I'd get my Library A to Z entry out of the way.

Book:

Setting Free the Bears by John Irving (280/bears). This is John Irving's first novel, and also, the first novel of his I've ever read. I've seen several of his movie adaptations, of course, but never actually read any of his books - I tried to read A Prayer for Owen Meany years back and couldn't get into it.
I don't know if I'd read another Irving book, because, while this book was impressively written, it was just difficult to get through. Particularly the middle section (entitled "The Notebook") where the narrative switches to another character, and focuses in depth on his mother & father's history before he was born. Since this was taking place in Austria during World War 2, it goes into a lot of the history of the area and was just not nearly as interesting as the other parts of the book.
Eh. I'm not expressing myself clearly, but I just know that while this story was okay, it wasn't something I'd recommend or force myself to do again.

CD:

The "I" music selection was not very large, unfortunately. Most of the discs were Indigo Girls or Iron Maiden selections. But I did manage to pick up two CDs from artists I've not heard of previously, and surprisingly, they turned out to be better than average! Hooray!
I picked up Returning to the Sea by a band called Islands reminded me of Of Montreal, which is a good thing. They've got titles of songs like, "Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby", and "Where There's a Will, There's a Whalebone" (which turned out to be the weakest song on the disc, in my opinion, but still). Overall, it's upbeat and funny and good stuff.
I also got Inland Traveller by Isolation Years, which appears to be a Swedish rock/pop group (according to Wikipedia, and also based on the fact that all the singers names appear to have umlauts). It's not a perfect disc, but I enjoyed the songs to a degree where I'm willing to add them to our iTunes library.

DVD:

I grabbed two "I" movies, but we only watched one. Impostor was a scifi movie based on a Philip K. Dick novel, and starred Lt. Dan as a government agent who might just actually be an alien spy with a bomb in his chest.
There was, of course, a twist ending to the movie, but it turned out to NOT be what I had suspected, so bravo movie-makers for actually blindsiding me! (Of course, the movie still wasn't spectacular, but then I wasn't going in expecting anything remarkable. Just wanted an entertaining 90 minutes or so of popcorn fluff. And that's what was delivered.)
Also grabbed The Illusionist, but never got around to viewing it. Maybe some other time.

In regard to the blogathon... I'm not certain I'll be posting every hour today. Or even twelve times. There are other things to do today (library trip for example) and frankly, my heart isn't totally in it. We'll see how the day progresses.

No comments: