Thursday, June 26, 2008

I ain't afraid of no ghost

Lately Steph has been on a ghost kick. In fact, she is currently in the bedroom watching a DVD of Ghost Hunters. I'm not watching it because that show drives me insane.
Not in the good way, either. It's too...manufactured, I guess is the word. Or not detailed enough? I don't know. It just bugs me that with the program there is no way for us to absolutely know that things weren't set up or faked or naturally occurring phenomenon(s) or equipment failure or any number of things. Including, I suppose, actual spirits.

Anyway. The other night when we had our date, Steph & I discussed supernatural events in our lives. I couldn't recall any except for the time when I was homeless and living under a bridge in Miami, Florida. ...and that may have been more drug-related than anything other-worldly.

So the question becomes, I guess, have I not had any experiences because I'm "too closed minded" - as some believers like to use as an excuse for when skeptics don't experience things - or is it because there is nothing to truly experience? Or is it just luck of the draw, and I will be visited by three spirits tonight? (Or, you know, on Xmas Eve) Who knows?

I'm open to the idea of investigating stuff like that. The EVPs are something that I'd like to look (or listen, heh) into more. But those in particular freak Steph out.

Ultimately, as of right now, I don't believe in ghosts. Because I don't believe in an afterlife of any sort.

But! Just because *I* believe (or don't), does not make it true (or false). That's the great thing about stuff like this - nobody knows absolutely whether there is anything beyond.

So, now I open it to the P@riots out there. Any ghost stories you have that you feel like sharing? Do you believe? Do you not? Do you see dead people? Who you gonna call?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm heading to bed, so no stories tonight. I did hunt down this link for you, to something I (over)wrote about EVP a few years ago: http://creature-corner.com/?type=news&id=606

Amy said...

GHOSTBUSTERS!

Sorry, I don't have a story right now. But that question just cannot go unanswered.

Anonymous said...

My dog? Nah, he'd just wag his tail and bring them a toy.

I'm with you here, I don't believe in ghosts. I think the simple explanation is the mind can fool us in so many ways. My favorite question to those who do believe is, um, why do ghosts wear clothes? Seriously, what would be the point? And does that mean there's such a thing as ghost clothes?

-Kirk

Meghan said...

I have to admit, though I've never seen Ghost Hunters... it totally sounds like something I would watch! I have a pretty open mind about The Supernatural, and I love me some good ghost stories.

I will have to come back (when I have a bit more time) and share a great ghost story from a house back in Maryland that was built before the turn of the century.

Anonymous said...

Never had any encounters until my Mom died. Now she comes to me occasionally in dreams which seem more real than dreamlike if that makes any sense. Otherwise I heard a wonderful explanation of why some people have these experiences and others don't.

People who are color blind don't see red or green, but just because they don't see red or green doesn't mean that those colors don't exist. The same with preternatural phenomena, just because some of us don't have the ability to experience them, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Makes sense to me. However, except for the dream thing, I'm totally color blind.

P@ said...

What's funny, Kirk, is that when I was talking about this with people at work, I brought up the exact same point. I said that just in case there are ghosts, I'll have to make sure that when I die, I'm wearing something I like, and not something I wouldn't be caught dead in.

Cindy, that's a logical enough explanation.

Meghan (and anyone else with a story), I'm very curious to hear it.

Annika, that event sounds like it would've been a blast to attend.

CosmicAvatar said...

I do believe in the paranormal. I've never had an experience myself, but my friend has had several, and I have no reason to disbelieve her.