Sunday, March 30, 2008

we'll all float on, okay

I should do a lyric title recap post again soon. Haven't done one for a while. I'm not sure that I'd *remember* what titles were song lyrics anymore, though. Or even where they came from.

This one is an easy one, though. It's from Modest Mouse's, Float On, because it's currently playing on the iTunes.

Yesterday we partook in the Earth Hour exercise, even though Las Vegas was not on the list of official cities. We turned off all the lights, and the computer, lit some candles, and sang songs and told stories and laughed like loons. Did it accomplish anything significant? Not in environmental terms, I'm sure, but it was a fun hour in our house, and maybe we'll do things like that more often. (Eventually, of course, we'll all be forced to...)

Well, it's month-end, and that means that I can do my movie-roundup as well as the daily post totaling. Hooray! I still want to see a) if I end up seeing 200 movies within the year, b) if my grand total of words will be over 200,008 (doubt it!), and c) a graph/chart with my posting totals on them. Perhaps later I'll do some googling and see what I come up with...

Movies this month - March was not a very big movie month, for some reason. Maybe April will be more movie-friendly.

Hide and Seek - Dakota Fanning was creepy as hell in this movie. I really enjoyed it, until the final 20 minutes when it became another cliche-filled Hollywood "thriller". [sigh] And then the final 20 seconds was just stupid icing. But, seriously, the first hour or so were quite good.

Hellboy - I had seen this before, but didn't mind rewatching it. They're coming out with a sequel now! I don't know how I feel about that!

Across the Universe - Fabulous. A musical using Beatles songs, and set in the 60s, but not about the band. Visually and aurally, this movie kicked forty types of ass. Plot wise it was a little thin, but I'm not complaining. It was just a treat for the senses, really. Plus, Jupe is an extra in it. Heh. "Hey, Jupe!"

Global Effect - This was one of those late-night grade C (or lower) movies that I screened at work. It was about a virus being released in Africa, and terrorists steal the only! vaccine! in the world!! I have to say, though, that for the type of movie that it was, it wasn't half bad. It wasn't half good, either, but I've seen much worse, really.

Falling Sky - for example, this. Oh man. This was a 'drama' about a single mother and her teenage daughter (played by Brittany Murphy!) who move to Las Vegas. The mom battles alcoholism, while Brittany narrates REALLY bad poetry/philosophy/life lessons through the entire movie. Brittany Murphy gives a pretty decent performance, truth be told, but overall, the writing is just horrible and the whole thing seems kinda pointless. If I hadn't had to screen it for work, I definitely would've turned the thing off.

Surf's Up - I almost turned this off, too. (We got it from Netflix) But I'm glad I didn't. The first 10 minutes or so were ...I don't know. They didn't flow right, or something. But after that, it got a lot better, and was enjoyable. Spoiler for the biggest laugh of the movie:
"C'mon, she likes you. She called you crap."

An Ideal Husband - Another screened for work movie. Oscar Wilde movies are...okay. This one was no different. I think The Importance of Being Earnest was better.

Okay. Post totals!
In order: 416; 186; 132; 145; 1,031; 633; 19; 381; 683; 1,324; 92; 112; 161; 444.
And this post has a total of: 641
For the total of March being - 6,400
And for the year to date - 16,821

4 comments:

Amy said...

For Earth Hour, I listened to my iPod. I mean, it wasn't plugged in or anything, but I still feel like I may have missed the point?

Mindi Scott said...

I've been wanting to watch "Across the Universe" for ages, but it keeps not happening.

Meghan said...

Re: Across the Universe

Fourty-two types.

But, who's counting?

Amy said...

BLOGGED! Brilliant!!!