Thursday, July 10, 2008

what, again?

Seriously? Has it been two days since I last blogged? That's (one of) the problems with doing this "blog every other day" thing. Time ends up zipping by, and I find myself going, "I have to blog again? I thought I had the day off! How'd I lose a day?"
Maybe I should have gone with blog every other week. Hmm.

I think part of the psroblem, though, might be the bus taking. Since I'm waking up earlier on a consistent basis now, and still not going to bed any earlier to compensate, my body (and brain!) is ..um. ..um.

Um!

Anyway.

Other things. Tomorrow, July 11th, is "Slurpee Day" at participating 7-Eleven stores in the good ol' US of A. (Not sure about the rest of the planet. Except I do know that the 7-Eleven's in Awwww-stralia don't celebrate until November 7th.) So, yeah. If your neighborhood "sev" is cool (like mine are), then you can go in and snag yourself a free slurpee! (Granted, it's only 7.1 ounces, which is sorta tiny. But, dude. Free!)
They've done this since Aught Two, and every year I've taken the girls to go get our free slurpees once I get home from work. Fun.

The poll to the left is turning out to be rather ironic. I put it up to have help deciding which story to work on. Thus far there's a 3-way tie. Funny!

Dude. Tomorrow is Friday already? This week zipped by.

Thumb photo:


Yeah. I've got a Band-Aid on it right now, so I don't know how it looks, but yesterday it was still pretty gnarly looking. I think the skin-growing cells in my thumb have gone on vacation. Heh. I'm like the Anti-Claire. (Um. That's Claire from Heroes, not Claire from Lost)

Um.

One final thing. The London Times today had an article listing the "20 Best Movie Endings". The article is here - although it's got spoilers for all the films, so clicker beware.
Here are the films, with the bolded ones being movies I've seen:
20) Se7en
19) The Blair Witch Project
18) Memento
17) Planet of the Apes (original)
16) Shawshank Redemption

15) Gone with the Wind
14) Doctor Strangelove
13) Les Diaboliques (1955 version)
12) Wizard of Oz
11) Thelma & Louise
10) The Sixth Sense
9) The Usual Suspects

8) The Italian Job
7) Some Like It Hot
6) Breakfast at Tiffany's
5) Chinatown
4) E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
3) Casablanca
2) Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
1) Carrie

I'm too tired to even debate the list, dude.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor thumb. I saw some "fairy healing bandages" at Big Lots the other day. Shall I run back and snag you a box?

I've seen 14 of those movies and I wonder if they made the list simply because most of them didn't wrap everything up neatly and tie it with a bow? Because a number of them didn't necessarily have "twists" or anything, they just weren't necessarily "happily ever after".

Anonymous said...

PS...I saw the Robe is back on the roll. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

WHAT. No WILD BUNCH? (Actually, I can't remember if I'm thinking of the end-end or just the climax. So nevermind, maybe.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've seen 19 of those. Suck it, book list! :P Who wants to guess which one I haven't seen?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(drumroll...)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Breakfast at Tiffany's. No offense, Audrey.

-Kirk

Amy said...

Reasonable except Carrie, basically.

And dude, do you not get injured that often? Your thumb looks kind of on-schedule. Has it developed that thin scabby-skin yet?

I get injured a lot, basically.

Stephanie said...

Amy- Yes! I mean No! P@ treats each and every scrape and scratch with inappropriate awe. Seriously. This reminds me of the great pinkie debacle of aught 2.

Simon said...

I like that you said The London Times. Also, I've seen eight of the films, and I hope you heal up soon.

Anonymous said...

I want to know what the fucking criteria was! WEAK list. I've seen every single one of those movies. Some are awesome, but none on the basis of the "ending", except for 6th Sense.

How is the ending of Gone w/ The Wind (or any of them, really) "better" than, say, the ending of Touch Of Evil? It's like someone is listing "memorable" endings (i.e. "trick" or "twist" endings) and also threw in # 15, 16, 4 and 3 as a sort of sop for "happy ending" fans.

I call bullshit. A is right, why not Wild Bunch, shit, why not Empire Strikes Back- the ending had haunted the first 20 years of my life?

Casablanca and Chinatown (and Gone W/ The Wind) get on the list because of famous Last Lines, not actual ending. Carrie was a major surge foreward in the "Fuck You I'm Scary, it Ain't Safe!" ending, but so was Friday the 13th (original & nonsensical).

What about Soylent Green? What about The Vanishing Point (which Sir Ridley certainly cribbed from for T&L).

I'll agree with Dr. Strangelove. I'll give Les Diaboliques. The endings to Some Like It Hot and The Italian Job are both aces. Butch & Sundance is one of the best endings of all time, sure, but thats more about the freeze-frame while the sound continues than anything else- in fact, I think thats the most deserving of those on this list. I loved that movie unabashedly for most of my life, only as an adult have I come to find it's glib unevenness to be a bit of a turnoff... but the ending still holds, fer sure.

Breakfast @ Tiffany's finale is a tear-jerker, sure, but "best"? And E.T., really, how else could it end?

Plus, Blair Witch? Fuck you, Times.