Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I found a fishdog on the way home

Let's see. What to talk about?

Finished Lord Vishnu's Love Handles: A Spy Novel (Sort of) today. Quite amusing and entertaining. Certainly not high literature, but I liked it, and that's all that truly matters, yes? I've read that it's being optioned into a movie, which sounds great, because if done properly, could make for a fun little flick. But... there is a lot of internal dialog/psychic powers that takes place which makes me wonder how exactly that would transfer to film. Eh. We'll see if it happens, I guess. I mean, it's not even listed at imdb. yet, so.

Oh. LVLH was 290 pages, with the final word being "way".

Other things...

Walking home each day (from the bus stop) has apparently given me enough sun exposure to result in me getting a bit more tan. (Booooo-urns!) Two people at work have commented that I've "gotten some sun". Weird. Maybe I should invest in an umbrella or some sort of sunshade. Or get back to work on my Master Plan to destroy the sun...

Two days from now is "Learn Nothing Day". [I love that it's taking place on 7/24. Because learning happens 24-7. Heh.] Anyway, it's open to anyone that wants to participate! Good luck, everyone!

I keep having a craving for Oreo Cookies, which is annoying because everytime I eat them, I only want like, 4 or 6 or 11, and then I get all upset because my teeth and lips are all black.

tvtropes.org is probably the greatest timesuck in the world.

I added "Watchmen" to the library list, because the movie is coming out (in a year) and I've never read the graphic novel and want to see what all the fuss is about.

And all the superhero/villain stories that have been coming into my life lately make me want to write one of my own, but it feels ...done? Like I don't have a suitable twist on it to make it mine, if that makes sense.

We own the first two Terminator movies now (have for a while, actually) but haven't yet watched them. Perhaps we'll remedy that this weekend. I'm looking forward to reporting back Harper & Saren's takes on the films.

Blogger keeps giving me error messages about the autosave. Hope that this actually publishes. See you on the other side!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You published and I can't sleep, what a happy coincidence.<---this means I have something entertaining to read in the wee hours of the morning (it's 3:17 am here)

Mindi Scott said...

I get cravings for Oreos sometimes, too. But only for the double-stuff kind! Unfortunately, those don't come in a small pack (like regular Oreos that you can get at convenience stores), so I don't even up buying them often.

Anonymous said...

I purchased Watchmen awhile back for similar reasons, but haven't read it yet.

Oh yeah, re: your mention of Terminator movies, I'm curious: what standard do you & Steph have on what movies are appropriate for Saren & Harper? [Note: asked only out of curiosity; I know it's a loaded topic in some circles.]

-Kirk

Stephanie said...

I'll go ahead and answer that. We pretty much let them decide whether they want to watch it or not. In terms of scariness and violence, if we're watching a movie and one of them says they don't want to watch it anymore we turn it off. Usually that's Harper as Saren doesn't have any problems with scary movies. But there are some things that I can look at and know that it will scare Harper too much just to have it on in the same room and so I ask Pat to watch it while they are sleeping.

It's interesting though, some of the things that do and *don't* make her uncomfortable. Like when Ghosthunters (the tv show from scifi) comes from Netflix, Saren and I have to go into the bedroom and watch it on the portable DVD player with the door closed, but she's been watching Buffy for a couple of years now.

As for the Terminator movies, I don't think she'll have a problem with them.

Summing up, they choose their own level of comfort and Saren can handle pretty much anything and Harper chooses to forgo the more realistic scary stuff.

Irina is shaping up to be more like Saren. Pat and I were watching something tense the other day and she sat next to me pulling my arm around her acting clearly scared, and when we asked her if she wanted us to turn it off, she said no. The girl likes a good thrill.

Amy said...

Man, I have totally given up Oreos for the organic chocolate-wafer-and-cream cookies I obtain at my local grocery mart.

Yes, really.

Anonymous said...

when people tell you that you look tan, glance down and act as if you are brushing something off while murmuring: "Tan? No, no, it's just Dorito dust..."

Anonymous said...

My sleep deprived brain made me forget to ask, "Am I supposed to know what a fishdog is? Did I miss it in the post somewhere? Is it an inside joke? Or am I just thick?"

Oh and re: Oslowe's comment about Dorito dust vs. tan: I wouldn't say that in front of teenaged boys. They might decide to lick you. Well, at least mine would.

P@ said...

Kirk,
Um. What Steph said.

Cindy,
The fishdog (besides being my new favorite word - "fishdog"! It's so much fun to say!) is a small plastic toy I found on the road yesterday afternoon on the walk home. It's got the head of a dog, and the tail of a fish. Like a mermaid's...dog, I guess. It's rather disturbing when you consider it's supposed to be a child's toy.

Amy,
Or...gan...ic... cookies? Does. Not. Compute.

Anonymous said...

Ye gods. That sounds like the child's version of the jackalope. You know...part jack rabbit, part antelope. I think it is mandatory to mount one on the wall of every small town, smoke-filled, dirty-joke swapping barber shop across America. And if said town doesn't have a barber shop, then it must hang in the local diner.

Amy said...

I know. It's so deliciously confusing. They're clogging my arteries with nutrition.