Friday, May 09, 2008

...and there's nothin' on.

Remember when I scrolled through the radio stations and then blogged about it?
Well, today, because I'm a huge ol' nerd, during lunch I decided to do the same thing with the tv.

The following occurred between 11:22am and 12:02pm.

I started with the lowest channel (2) and wrote down whatever was on, then switched up to the next channel. I think I stayed on each one an average of 35 seconds (although I haven't done the math to really figure it out). If I was able to know the station/channel that it was, I indicated it. Here we go!

2 - This is labeled the "Pentagon Channel", and is currently showing cemeteries while stating facts about the number of vererans that are buried each year. Gloomy!

3 - KVBC, the NBC affiliate - a commercial for Amica insurance

4 - CCTV - two old woman talking...about composting?

5 - KVVU, Fox 5 - I changed the channel as soon as I heard someone say, "I'm a life coach".

6 - KVCW, the CW affiliate, and one of the stations I work for - Family Feud was on at this time. It was the lightning round, and the question I stuck around for was, "Name a color of socks a guy should never wear." The contestant gave the answer "Red". (I watched to see if the family won 20,000 at the end - they didn't - and the #1 answer to that question was "Pink")

7 - TBS - an ad. Why choose Ziplock? To stop freezer burn, apparently.

8 - KLAS - the CBS affiliate - some unidentifiable (to me) soap opera. Next!

9 - A Spanish Soap Opera. Next!!

10 - KLVX - the PBS affiliate - the end credits to the program, It's a Big Big World, which I've never watched.

11 - QVC - currently selling a "minimizing bra".

12 - KVMY - the MyNetwork affiliate, and the other station I work for. Ugh. It's Maury. Lots of bleeping as Maury tries to determine the parentage. I quickly change the channel to...

13 - KTNV - the ABC affiliate, which is airing a commercial for the Fantastik Indoor Swap Meet. Ahh, daytime TV.

14 - KTUD, the local station with no network affiliation. When I switched to it, it was the last few seconds of a commercial for Triple A insurance, and then the end credits for The Cosby Show. Jazzy!!

15 - A Spanish soap opera. Next!

16 - WGN is airing a baseball game. It's AZ vs CUB, and AZ leads 1 to 0 right now. (Bottom of the first inning). Next!

17 - HSN (Home Shopping Network) currently selling some sort of body salts.

18 - TNT. an episode of ER

19 - All I can tell is that the Nasdaq is down 24%

20 - CNN - some guy looking at websites. Um. Isn't that what we have computers for? Why would I watch television to see someone surf the web?

21 - Fox News - Iraq is great!!!!!!

22 - Headline News - Myanmar relief

23 - Nick Jr - Um... someone who looks passingly like Flava Flav is dancing with colorful robots. Kids shows today are messed. up.

24 - FX - the movie Dude, Where's My Car?. Um. I'm assuming. It's Ashton Kutcher, and it doesn't look like That 70s Show, and it's not Punk'd, so yeah, I think it's DWMC.

25 - A commercial for the 2008 US Open.

26 - A cat food commercial. Make your cat healthy!

27 - BET - apparently they're in the midst of a countdown. #6 is plaing right now, and it's a song I've, not unsurprisingly, never heard of. But they're rapping very quickly, whatever it is.

28 - Playhouse Disney - a computer generated kangaroo is counting

29 - SpikeTV - Oooh! It's that World's Most Amazing Police Footage or whatever. They're currently showing a burning car on the side of the road. Explosiony goodness!

30 - ESPN - Next!

31 - ESPN2 - Golf. Heh!! People actually did the golf-clap!

32 - A&E - ..I dunno what this is. Something about a trial from the '70's.

33 - A cat food commercial.

34 - USA - a J. G. Wentworth commercial.

35 - CNBC - Oh, look, the Nasdaq is down 24%.

36 - There's a shiny new razor that has aloe and shea butter on it. Mmmm. Shea butter.

37 - MTV - Oh, lord. Reality TV of some sort.

38 - MTV2 - An ad for some music download to your mobile phone thing. Damn kids with their technology and their music ....grumble grumble.

39 - VH1 - Oh, lord. Reality TV of some sort.

40 - A black & white movie with... Robert Redford? (I realized later that it was actually more likely to be Paul Newman. And I'm still not absolutely positive, but the face was familiar). He's playing a soldier of some sort in a wheelchair... this is almost intriguing enough to keep watching, but...

41 - TVLand - a commercial for Hidden Valley Ranch dressing

42 - Food Network - Some dude is preparing corn.

43 - History Channel - Ooh, historical re-enactment... about pirates. If I weren't on a mission to get to all the channels, I'd probably stop here and watch this. Of all the things I've seen so far, it's the most interesting.

44 - Weather Channel - It's currently 83 degrees with wind gusts of 22 mph.

45 - SciFi Channel - Boo!! It's a commercial for Lasik Plus. I was hoping for something good.

46 - A commercial for... binoculars?

47 - MSNBC - Hulk Hogan is in court? Because his son ran someone over? I'm so out of the loop.

48 - A chef is demonstrating something with... fish roe. Yuck.

49 - PSN, whatever that is, is showing a documentary about Joe Frazier.

50 - A soccer (aka football) game. LA vs RSL, tied at 2.

51 - an infomercial about foreclosure.

52 - AMC - some old black & white movie with... John Wayne, maybe? Some guys in snow, and a plane flies overhead... but doesn't see them. It's very sad.

53 - Bravo - a stand up comedienne is being applauded, but I missed the joke. Now she's talking to a guy in the audience about proposals to his girlfriend... and I'm bored.

54 - Court TV - reporters talking about some political hoo-haw.

55 - HGTV - a reality make-over your house, or at least one of the rooms in your house, show.

56 - Comedy Central - the show is Comic Remix. First there was a comic talking about life in the 'hood. By the time I finished writing that down, it had changed to a comic talking about child abuse. Beating kids up is teh funny!

57 - CMT - a video from Trace Atkins... or someone.

58 - Animal Planet - Eew. Animal surgery.

59 - ABC Family? Maybe? It's an ad for the movie Love Don't Cost a Thing, which is airing on ABC Family tonight.

60 - Discovery Health - Some guy is happy...about whatever. Next!

61 - Some home shopping channel....selling a dress.

62 - An ad, in Spanish.

63 - A Spanish soap opera.

64 - Spanish news.

65 - Cartoon Network - Mucha Lucha. This was actually occasionally funny.

66 - Some commercial for Flomax.

67 - a paid program for Food Saver

then it skipped a bunch of channels (the premium ones, that we don't pay for at work, I suppose) to:

95 - the TV Guide Channel.

And that brings us back to 2.
Hooray!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I applaud you for this effort, sir. Man, I think we have more television stations than you do, too. Which I only say because 67-95 aren't premium channels. Not meaning that there's, you know, anything more to watch.