Thursday, May 03, 2007

Of the 15 or 23 people who read my blog, the following will only be of interest to maybe 4 or 8 of you. Yep, I'm talking Lost.

It's not a fully developed theory, and I don't know how much of it I buy myself, but ever since the seed of the idea came into my mind (sometime after "Catch 22" aired), it's been growing.


Spoilers for season 3 up through at least "The Brig" are below:

What if Smokezilla is God?
Not exactly the God of the Bible, but still, an omnipotent judging....being.

In Neil Gaiman's books, gods fade out of existence if people stop having faith in them. I really like the idea that god(s) have to survive on faith. What if that is what the island's security system has to live off of as well?

My island time line would go something like this: First, Dharma arrives on the island, and they either discover Smokezilla or create it. Either way, they start to worship it, maybe. And for a while, Smokezilla lives on a strict diet of Otherosity. That is the only "religion" that it knows, and everything is hunky-dory.

Then, Danielle and her crew show up on the island, and accidentally (?) cause an illness that kills pregnant women on the island.

Now, the Others have to start recruiting people to get to the island.

Somewhere along the way, Smoke(God)zilla learns that there are other faiths. So, since it wants to learn more about them, it begins to bring people of different faiths to the island - Desmond was a monk, Eko was a priest (actually Yemi was, and it brought Yemi there first), Jack has faith in science, John has faith ...in the island (which might be why the Others think he's "special"). Maybe the Island/Smokey/God is looking for a religion that it can call it's own. Maybe God is Lost, and wants to be Found.

Eh. Like I said, not a fully fleshed out theory, and I can confidently say that I would be floored if the show did go in this direction, but if it does, remember that you heard it here first. :)

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Every time I have a theory about this show, I find a hole in it in less than five minutes.

So, about your theory (very interesting, by the way)... why is Smokezilla God afraid of the security system (which obviously doesn't work like we thought it did)?

P@ said...

I... don't know.
Obviously the "God" of Lost-Island is different than the God of Christian mythology. Perhaps sonic waves are just what naturally effect that creature?

If nothing else, the idea of a man-made (or natural, and just recently discovered) "god" would make for a pretty good story. :)

P@ said...

Or!! Maybe the fence works because the Others believe it does.

Or because Smokey believes it does.

Man, I should write for this show.

CosmicAvatar said...

I'll remember. [wink]