Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Eight eight I forget what eight was for

Yeah, I should really use that title next year. I'll have to try to remember that.

Random ness.

1. I read The Big Question by Chuck Barris. God only knows why I finished it. Very very badly written stuff. Chuck Barris, in case you don't know, and don't feel like wikiing him up, was the creator of The Gong Show, The Newlywed Game, and the author of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which was recently turned into a movie.
Anyway. We rented CoaDM from Netflix a few weeks back, and when I saw that Chucky Baby had written a new book about a game show wherein the final question is a matter of life and death (answer the final question correctly, win 100 million dollars. Get it wrong, and you're executed live on tv), I figured, that might be a fun read.
Um. Not so much.
Interesting, if not completely original, idea. Horrible horrible execution. (No pun intended)

2. I'm now reading (about 100 pages in) State of Fear by Michael "Jurassic Park" Crichton. I have a feeling this book is going to piss me off. It's interesting so far, but I just suspect that the anger will eventually come.
Why do I read things again?

3. Here's a youtube video that is quite catchy, and pretty fun. Plus, it's Harry Potter related. Harper loves it. And I find myself singing it at random moments in the day. Dumbledore!


4. I found a site that you can watch movies, tv shows, cartoons, music videos. Not sure if it's legal or not, but, anyway, I'm about half way through watching The Host. I bet that Annika and or Will have seen it. It's a Japanese (?) horror movie that came out in 2006 about a gigantic mutated ...monster attacking people. Surprisingly good so far.

5. Dinner? What should we have for dinner?

6. Stateris. It's Tetris, using the United States. (There's also a European countries version, if you're so inclined.)

7. Dude, it would be nice if I finished a project once in a while, wouldn't it? Lately, I've been wanting to go back and work on/add to/finish (ha ha ha ha) the Perth story. You know, the one that I started as my nanowrimo novel back in 2005. I left it in a spot where I had written myself into a bit of a corner, but recently I've been thinking about ways to get out of it. Of course, I haven't found time to actually do any work on it, but, at least it's reemerging in my mind.
The ironic thing is that *new* story ideas have begun to invade my imagination, claiming for the attention that rightfully belongs to other, older, more neglected stories first. [sigh]

8. I had something to say here, but I've forgotten what it was.
(See what I did there?)

4 comments:

Kirk said...

The Host is Korean. We saw it, and it is a good movie.

Is that the Michael Crichton book that posits global warming is a myth? Yeah, you may be right about the pissed-off factor. Note to conservatives: Michael Crichton writes FICTION. This does not actually qualify as a rebuttal to the science of global warming. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Er, we don't really like J-horror. (Or K-horror, assuming Kirk is right, which he usually is about these things.) We are weirdly picky.

Amy said...

Dude. ... Dude.

Dumbledore!

Miranda said...

Gee, thanks, Pat. You've managed to get my whole family singing that HP ditty! All. Day. Long. ;-)