Saturday, December 13, 2008

X

Books:
Bah ha ha ha ha.
Um. Yeah, no. I was unable to find any authors whose last name began with the letter X (I thought of later, reading Malcolm X's autobiography, which may have been cheating, plus, all of the books have so far been fictional) so I read nothing [0/ ]this week.

Didn't fare much better in the other realms, either...

CDs:
The only artist at the library was X, with their album Los Angeles, which ...I actually didn't listen to all the way through.
It's not that it wasn't good, it's just that I wasn't much in the mood for punk music. [shrug]

and

DVDs:
X-Men: The Last Stand was the only X movie that the library had in stock, so, I picked it up, despite having not seen the previous two stands that the X-Men made. Going in blind, as it were, may have been helpful, actually, because I seem to remember that when X-Men 3 came out that many people were moaning about how horrible it was.
I rather enjoyed it, for what it was. I mean, sure there were a good many moments that had me rolling my eyes and/or sighing, but overall, it was a pleasant 90 or so minutes. It was interesting to see how much Heroes really has "borrowed" from the X-Men, and now I finally get all the references people were making to Jean Grey/Phoenix during the Dark Willow crap from Season 6 of Buffy. (Wolverine didn't need to stab her, he just needed to talk to her about purple crayons!)
So, I don't know that I really need to see parts 1 & 2, but I'm not unglad that I saw 3, if that makes any sense.

Overall, I think we'll call X my "free pass" letter. Hopefully "Y" yields better results.

1 comment:

CosmicAvatar said...

I agree - the X-Men comics really did have a huge influence on things like BtVS and Heroes. I'd expect it more with the latter, as both have their origins in comic books and have comic book writers at the helm (I was most amused when I saw Jeph Loeb's name in the mix as I first read his stuff on X-Man back in the 90s), but it has been common knowledge for a long time that Joss had worshipped at the altar of Chris Claremont prior to doing Buffy. And why not? Those were some excellent stories.