Thursday, December 11, 2008

Brain Cramp

Recent things which have caused brain crampage:

The Killers song, "Human" contains the lyric, "Are we human, or are we dancers?"
Um. Unless you're talking about Cameron from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, dancers are human.
Also, it's super bugging me because while I know that he's singing "dancers", he doesn't really pronounce the "s", so maybe he's asking, "Are we human, or are we Dancer?" (as in one of Santa's reindeer.) Which doesn't make much logical sense, but that's the whole point of what I'm getting at.

Speaking of songs with nonsensical lyrics: Panic at the Disco's "Nine in the Afternoon" isn't exactly brimming with logic. It drives Steph crazier than me, because 9pm is technically after noon, but I can see why it causes the brain cramp.

And last night I saw a billboard that just absolutely takes the cake.
It was blue with yellow letters and all it said was:
If Jesus Be For You, Who Be Against You?


WHAT.
.... I mean... WHAT??
What in the world are they trying to say there? And why aren't they using proper English to ask it? And ...I mean there wasn't even a church assigned to claiming it (although really, who would want to?), it was just the cryptic words, staring down at the freeway, waiting for drivers to have accidents due to severe spasms from the powerful smack of nonsense bombarding their senses.

I've tried to make some sense of it today, and I can sorta think that maybe they were alluding to the phrase about "Is this Jesus I see before me" (that is a phrase, right?) but... even so, that doesn't ... [sigh] Seriously, certain folks should just not be allowed to make billboards.

5 comments:

Simon said...

I've been puzzled by that Killers lyric for a few days myself, good sir, and I can't quite get it. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

So here's the lowdown on that Killers lyric, which, I wholeheartedly agree, is beyond lame:
1) He really is singing "dancer." Not "dancers", not even "a dancer", either of which would at least approach being grammatical.
2) Apparently, this comes from a Hunter Thompson quote, in which Thompson was ranting about our culture becoming a society of dancers, or something. I *think* the point was to rail against the culture becoming too effete, but who knows? I always found Thompson to be an incoherent drunken macho idiot anyway, and never really got why he's esteemed by so many people, but maybe that's just me.
3) I realize this doesn't explain why "dancer" is in the singular.
4) The Killers have an unfortunate tendency toward stupid lyrics. I mean, "the stars are blazing like rebel diamonds"? What? Rebel diamonds? Are they about to secede from the rubies and the emeralds and form their own country?
5) It's best not to think too hard about Killers lyrics.

-Kirk

Stephanie said...

The other one that drives me crazy that the radio only just started playing is "crack the shutters open wide" by Snow Patrol. You cannot *crack* the shutters *open wide*. You can crack them. You can open them wide. You can't do both.

Amy said...

... the Devil? I mean ... is the answer the Devil?

Because, like, the Devil is against Jesus, right? They have that whole thing going on? So, like, if you're friends with Jesus, the Devil will hate you on principle? So like, he's going to get you?

I think I've seen this movie, just sayin'.

Mindi Scott said...

I was going to give you the lowdown, but Kirk beat me to it.

That set of lyrics has caused much amusement in our house. Often, when someone is moving clumsily in an attempt to dance, we'll comment on how they are definitely Human not Dancer.

Um, you probably have to be here to pick up on the hilarity, though.