Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Can I take you out to the pictures, Joa-oa-oa-oan?

So, we went to see Golden Compass on Sunday, which was the first time we've gone to the movies (or 'the pictures' - how quaint!) as a family since...Ratatouille, which is now out on DVD, so that's an indication of how often this thing happens in our lives.

Anyway. This post is about the trailers we saw.

These aren't in order, because I can't remember the exact order they aired.

Semi-Pro. This movie looks like they took all the Will Ferrell comedies, put them in a blender, and then put a strainer in front so that the good chunks would be left behind.
I didn't laugh once during the trailer (that isn't the one that aired at the theater - but I didn't laugh at that one, either. Will Ferrell naked? Is that comedy? What am I missing here?)
The plot of the movie (such as it is) is about Will Ferrell as a player, coach, and owner of some pathetic basketball team. The owners of the NBA decide that they're going to buy some of the teams... or something? And Will Ferrell has to train his ragtag bunch of misfits to play ball instead of just acting moronic. Meh with a capital M. [oh, here's the trailer that aired in the theater, if you're curious]

Inkheart - Trailer is here!
Steph & the Girls have read this series, so they were pretty excited about seeing this brought to the big screen. It looks ...DVD worthy, I'll give it that. It's difficult for me to see Brendan Fraser and not think Encino Man. Which... probably says more about me than it does him, but oh well.

The Spiderwick Chronicles (Trailer!)
I... don't know. I realize that Hollywood's job is to find something that audiences like and then copy it ad nauseum, but... all the children's fantasy series books ...I don't know. Netflix it is. (Although Saren did say that she wants to read this series now, so...)

Horton Hears a Who! (Trailer! - except that wasn't the one we saw in the theaters. And I'm unable to find the one they showed us. Oh well. The trailer we saw pretty much gave away the whole movie anyway. (I hate when they do that!) But, on the plus side, now we don't have to pay to see it! We can just watch the trailer.
Regardless, I think the whole world needs to realize that Seuss and films... just don't mix. Remember The Cat in the Hat? Yeah, I'm trying to forget it too. This movie doesn't look as though it will be as horrible as that was (how could it be?) but it doesn't look good, either.

The Great Debaters (Trailer!) I'm sure that this movie will have first class acting, and that the story will be moving and inspirational and blah-de-blah, but the trailer showed the whole movie, and it's nothing we've not seen a gabillion times before, really, so what's the point?
But I do like Denzel Washington and Forest Whitaker.

...I think that was all of them. They may have had a trailer for Walk Hard, but they also had a 'commercial' before the trailers where they asked people to turn off their cell phones using characters from that movie, so i might be confused.

The bottom line is that all the trailers were kind of ...disappointing. At least the movie was decent.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Pat, Brendan Fraser was also in School Ties.

P@ said...

Yes. He was also in several episodes of Scrubs (when Scrubs was still awesome), and he was George of the Jungle, and he was in those Mummy movies.

But he's still Encino Man to me.

Anonymous said...

Dude. The presence of Pauly Shore didn't warn you off??

-Kirk

Amy said...

Oh, I know he was in other things. That wasn't my point. My point was that I'm a sucker for stories about boys bonding in boarding schools, and that is how Brendan Fraser won me over.

Also With Honors.

Much like you with Encino Man, it doesn't much matter what he did after that. ... Sorry, Brendan.

Amanda said...

The only movie I can think of that I'm excited about is Indiana Jones. Birthday present for me!

CosmicAvatar said...

They called it California Man in the UK. Probably worried that no-one knew where Encino was...

I like Brendan Fraser. But then I saw him in other stuff first. The Mummy films are my favourite, but he was damned good in stuff like Gods And Monsters.