Friday, June 22, 2007

And the world is beautiful, just look around

Went to the libe during my lunch break because if I didn't get out of the office, I was going to have a complete and utter nervous breakdown. Hey, maybe I did anyway! [insert crazy laugh]

ANyway, I faced the quadruple digit temps and picked up a bunch of comic book/graphic novels/books with pictures and 3 cds by Harry and the Potters, because I'm lowbrow, and easy to please. Also, my attention span is just not up to reading full length novels anymore. Or writing them, either, apparently! [insert crazy laugh]

[sigh]

Today was a ...not good day at work. I'm trying to let it go, though, so maybe I shouldn't blog about it. On the other hand, perhaps getting it out will allow me to stop thinking about it. Let's compromise, shall we?

I'll blog about it in a moment, if I still feel I have to. First, other things:

We (well, Saren and I - Steph & Harper were smart enough to stop at various midpoints) watched Napoleon Dynamite last night.


HOLY FUCK that was the absolute worst piece of garbage I have seen in a LONG time. What the fuck is wrong with people that that movie has been so hyped? It was the opposite of funny. It was the epitome of UNfunny. I sat there, for an hour and 36 minutes, thinking, "It's got to get better." "It's going to get better, right?" "Maybe it'll get better."
It doesn't.

In fact, I realized something last night, anytime I've watched something thinking, "Maybe it gets better" ...it doesn't. Season 7 of Buffy didn't. Napoleon Dynamite didn't. I'm sure there are other examples, but I can't remember any right now. But the "maybe it'll get better" line is a fool's trap.

At some point, I realized that ND was NOT going to get better. I don't know when that was, but instead of turning it off, or finding something better to do, I opted to stick it out to see just how bad it could be.
Bad.

But after watching it, and after thinking back to all the hype that surrounded it, I had two thoughts:
1) The hype must be an elaborate prank. It's some sort of complex meta-joke, in which people know that it's an awful unfunny complete waste of time, but they say that it's great in order to see if anyone else will really buy into it. Those who do, are just as ...challenged mentally, shall we say? as Napoleon is himself.
2) Maybe I just don't get it.

Anyway, if it were possible to rate negative stars on Netflix, this would certainly deserve them.

Hmm. Urge to post about work is fading, but still somewhat here.

I'll suffice to say that work sucks. People expect me to be a mind-reader, and also don't take into consideration a) how much work I already do and b) that piling on more work on top of that won't be a problem.
Also, I'm vastly vastly underpaid.

On the bright side - I'm taking July 2nd and 3rd off, and the 4th is a holiday, so there's a five day break coming up at the end of next week. Cool.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry. I should have warned you. I can't understand why people love a movie that is basically an excuse for the audience to laugh at a retard.

I did like Kip, though.

P@ said...

I can't understand why people love a movie that is basically an excuse for the audience to laugh at a retard.

I could forgive the movie if it were doing that and it was funny. I mean, see Steve Carrell's character in Anchorman for an example of when it's perfectly acceptable to laugh at someone that is less than bright. But the characters in ND - every. single. one of them - were (imo) unlikable, unfunny, and just "weird" for weird's sake.

I really should let it go, because it wasn't worth getting this worked up over, but I think the hype has made me more irritated than I should be.

CosmicAvatar said...

I hear you on the work sitch. I hope whatever it was is all sorted now.

Mindi Scott said...

I cannot even begin to understand ND and the way I feel about it.

Dwayne and I watched it for the first time at a $3 theatre when it had already been out for ages. As soon as the first scene started, the audience was giggling. It wasn't long before they were howling. AND NOTHING HAD HAPPENED.

I was like, "Is something funny going on? I don't get it."

I felt that way through the entire film.

Then I complained to my sister about the unfunniness. She was like, "Well, yeah, but didn't you think it was pretty hilarious when he said ____________?"

And I was like, "Yeah, I guess so."

And she started quoting different parts and reminding me of certain scenes and we were both laughing. It was funnier to *talk* about ND than to watch it.

I've since seen it a couple of times. I get a little bored at parts, but there are certain other parts that do make me laugh.

Like, I said, I can't explain it. I don't get it at all. It's one of the biggest mysteries to me.

Amy said...

Pat, these days are dark, but we won't fall. We'll stick together, through it all!

I'm sorry everything sucks.

I have not seen Napolean Dynamite. I have heard conflicting things, things which indicate either that it's something up my alley, or something that's terrible and will give me The Rage. In any event, I will probably watch it if I ever manage to catch it on cable. That way, I can turn it off without losing anything!