Friday, May 20, 2005

No time, long blog.

Scratch that, reverse it, as Mr. Wonka would say.

I'm back, but not right now. Right now I must get ready for work. However! I do have some 'lost blog entries' that I typed up during my online hiatus.

And so now I shall post them. Please ignore (or mock, whatever) anything that no longer has credence. Okay, old entry time!



Got to get you out of my mind, ba dum dum dum dum dum.... I was born and
you were small and we were wrong and you were right there, ba dum dum
dum dum dum....

I really should be blogging. It's been AGES - Mr. Ages, the old mouse
who helps Mrs. Frisby - since I've blgged. I keep wanting to write
fiction - work on a NANOWRIMO type of thing, but I really don't have the
inspiration to come up with a story. Especially one that could be
sustained for 50,000 words. And especially not 4 of them. (Which is what
I would have to do in order to fulfill the Project '05 criteria.)

I'm thinking if Steph a nd I ever play Scrabble again, that I'll make a
Scrabble Story (tm) and post that. I mean that'll be something, right?
Again, though, it's the inspiration part that's lacking. I mean, really.
No desire to create fiction whatsoever. [sigh]

I had sent a blog entry to myself from my work email, but it had sat in
my AOL inbox for so long that it got deleted. Apparently AOL only holds
emails for one month. Even if you have not yet read them! ^Very
considerate, corporate behemoth!^ Anyway, maybe someday I will retype up
that entry. It was [depressing, thought provoking, interesting, jejune,
funny, clever, wordy], so it may be worth revisiting in the future. If I
can remember it all.

So what's new in my life? I dunno. Nothing, really. You'd think that
after not having been online for almost two months, I would have more to
say. You would think wrong. But at least I'm blogging again, right?
Right. That is the important thing. Speaking of important...no, I guess
that wasn't. Never mind! Ha! Nice fake out!

Speaking of fake outs! Lost. Dude. If we don't start getting answers to
this myriad of mysteries...yeah. I don't know either. However, I know
that Jess mentioned the Mysteries of Lost a while back (even though
I haven't gone online, I've occasionally peeked over Steph's
shoulder) and I thought I would add my own.

1) Why is Claire the only Australian on a plane coming out of Australia?
Perhaps some of the red shirts might also be, but until they decide to
pay those extras to provide them with speaking roles, we may never know.
1a) Is the ClaireSpawn Australian? I mean, what determines one's
nationality? Where you are actually physically born or what your
mother (and or father?) are? Where you grow up and learn to speak?

2) Why do none of the passengers remember seeing John in a wheelchair on
the plane? One would think that that would be something you'd take
notice of while boarding...

3) If Danielle can speak English (and she obviously can) then why
broadcast the distress signal in French? Granted, French seems to be her
native tongue, but she doesn't seem to have a problem carrying
conversations in English. And one would think that English is a wider
spoken language than French.

Ah well. It's still a hugely entertaining program, but really, answering
a question or three would be a very nice thing for the writers to do.

Heh. Writers. I used to want to be one. I used to, at least in theory,
be one. God, it's been so long since I've even logged online. So
much has changed. And yet, not really.

One thing that will change now, though. I will start to update my blog
once more. With feeling.
4/14



Mental Illness Rate Increasing Say Crazy Scientists
4/18


This will be #3 in the series (ha!) of "Lost Blog Entries!" Only, you
know, I won't be talking about Lost. With the exception, of
course, of this sentence. Yay for meta-...stuff.

So. What should I blog about?

As previously noted (note to self: include link to Steph's blog's
comment thing here), I believe that the new Pope (note to self: edit in
a link to a picture of Pope Palpatine) bears a resemblance to Emperor
Palpatine (note to self: edit in a link to a picture of Emperor
Palpatine). (Imperial Death March now playing in my head. And, most
likely, yours as well.) Um. What else? The whole death of Pope John Paul
George Ringo the 2nd along with the whole escapade of choosing his
replacement has left me with the absolute confirmation that the Catholic
religion is WEIRD. Not judging it, or anyone who has that belief, just
saying that it is weird.

Currently at work. Heh. Periods. Um. No. Let's try typing a sentence
longer than one word, shall we? Okay. Doh! Doh! DOH!!!!

Okay. Loop over. Right? Yes. Or not.

Well, I guess I'm accomplishing the Project '05 goal...one word at a time.

So, like I was saying, currently at work I'm in charge of the Nelly
contest. (Note: I had to look Nelly up on the interweb to determine who
Nelly was. In fact, I had originally thought that Nelly was a female. I
think this was because my brain was confusing Nelly [male] with Nelly
Furtado [female, who is like a bird])

Anywhat, here's the scoop: Nelly is coming to Las Vegas. Our station has
(somehow) obtained 3 pairs of tickets to this event. When stuff like
this happens, more often than not we will have a drawing to give away
the free prizes. This time around, I am the grandmaster (heh!) of this
contest. I'm the one who is holding the tickets (they're locked away in
my desk drawer). I'm the one that has issued the memo(s) to everyone,
and I will be the one who draws the names and determines who gets the
valuable scraps of paper. Thus far, 22 people have signed up. We employ
(*grabs the phone list, counts*) 72 people. Whoa. Seventy-two?!?
Really? Jeez.

Make that 23. I'm so popular!

I was toying with entering the contest myself - and selling (or more
likely, giving away) the tickets if I won. But with there being so many
people already clamoring for them, I think I'll just sit out this one.
Besides, today I signed up for 2 tickets to see the prescreening of The
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Yay! I should probably read the book
beforehand, no? Yes, sad to admit that I have not read the Douglas Adams
books. I've started to several times, but for one reason or another,
just never completed them. Doh.

I was talking to Steph earlier about how this summer a lot of the big
movies will be Made From Books. We have the aforementioned Hitchhiker's
Guide, War of the Worlds, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Harry
Potter and the Goblet of Fire (although I don't know if that's coming
out this summer or not, so there goes that theory.). And...well, I guess
that's not really that many. Which just goes to show that one should
really think before talking, no?
4/20

4/21/05
Thoughts through the day.

Today is the 111th day of 2005. It's currently 8:02am, and I am really
hungry. I skipped breakfast. No, that's not entirely true. I did have a
banana, but is that going to sustain me until I can eat again? I suppose
it will have to.

Life is fucking weird.

24 people in the Nelly drawing now. One week until the drawing happens.
The suspense must be killing ...no, wait. There is no suspense. The
boredom must be killing you.

Allergies!!!

The Arizona Diamondbacks are playing the San Francisco ... somethings
today. And we are broadcasting the game. I suppose I should get the
backup programming ready. You know, do my job.

You know what's weird? People who take the time to call television
stations. Seriously. Get a freakin' life. Sigh.

So. Hungry. Can't . THnk. Need. Sustenance.

Burn, baby, burn. Fire makes the magic fire keeps the skies in line.
Fire . Blah. I yeah. Need to stop for a bit. Stupid symbols and words
and nonsense. BORING!

HEre in Vegas the Superintendent (SKINNNER!!!) of the School District
has recently retired. Or resigned. Anywhat, the Fucking News today
announced that the School District will have two people temporarily
replace him while a search for a permanent replacement commences. I say
that to choose the new Superintendent, they should have all the teachers
get locked in a big chamber and cast secret ballots. Once they decide
and the votes are tallied, a puff of white smoke should appear and
they'll ring bells and angels will get their wings and it will be a
wonderful life. Just a thought.

I wonder if I should be putting some sort of divisionary indicator
between each writing. I mean, it's 1:28pm now, and I've come back to
this particular "entry" several different times throughout the day. Oh well.

Whoa. Mike (note to self: link to past talkings of Mike in the P@rix,
since I have no doubt mentioned him before) just called me! Freaky cool.
It's freaky cool because I was thinking of calling him today. Vibey!
Anyway, he's doing well and that's good. It was nice to hear from him.
I was thinking about friends, and about how I suck as one. Or suck at
keeping them. Whatever. Probably a combination of the two. It's not that
I don't want friends, it's just that I'm socially retarded. Also, I have
a good dose of misanthropy that makes making new friends difficult. And
I'm lazy, and friendships (or any relationship, really) takes work. I
need to make sure that I don't throw away any relationship I want to keep.

I need a haircut. And a shave. Two bits.

Speaking of "bits", I learned today that the original minimum wage was
25 cents. I'm assuming that that was 25 cents per hour, but since they
didn't state that, it's pure speculation on my part. I gleaned this fact
from the television during the 12 noon newscast. Every weekday the
weatherman (John Fredericks) has his "Fredericks Fact" - a trivia
question wherein viewers are urged to call the station if they have the
correct answer to win valuable prizes! Sadly, the Fredericks Fact has
become part of my daily routine, and I look forward to seeing it. The
question is asked at 12:15 and the answer is given around 12:45. Other
things I've learned (and remember) from the Fredericks Fact:

[-] The first neon sign said NEON
[-] The original title of West Side Story was East Side Story
[-] POSSLQ, a term used by the Census Buerea, means People of the
Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters

Thanks, freaky weatherguy!

Oh, hey! Neat. The WordPat HEEE! I mean WordPad program has a
date/time stamp. See?
3:03:39 PM
4/21/2005
Cool. Maybe I'll start using those at the end of each entry. Or not. I
don't know. Blah. Oooh, email! Let's see who it's from...Oh. Michelle.
She's amusing. Sadly, I was the bearer of bad news for her. Seems that
the WB has decided to run an episode of Living With Fran after
the 90 minute season finale of Smallville (^Yeah, WB, that
will draw viewers away from Lost or Alias^). This program
change means that she has to call every rep that ordered spots in the
original program (which was Blue Collar TV. [shudder]) and let
them know. Sad. But not my decision. I'm just the messenger (in this
instance, anyway). Plus, programming changes keep all of us employed. Yay.

Jesus.

Anyway, I should probably type something, huh? It's been forever. I did
some calculating, and I need to type approximately 808 words each day
for the rest of the year in order to meet my completely unrealizable
goal. [sigh]

Apparently I've fallen out of the habit of typing or blogging or
whatevering. I haven't even gone online ('cept for at work, which
doesn't count) since ...when? Oh. March. Right. And then there were the
times when I logged on to check my mail and/or change my blog
description. [sigh] I'm so tired and not in the mood to do this. I just
want to go home and go back to bed. Or to have something to say, because
for whatever reason, part of me DOES want to accomplish the stupid
200,005 words goal. Huh. FIgures. I get excited about a goal, and it's
something trivial and pointless. That's Patypical.

I know I'm nowhere near 800 words yet, so I'm just going to leave this
email open, except that if i do that, it won't work. Mozilla - that's
what is used here at work - has issues with messages being open too
long. Or maybe it's just this computer. Whatever, it doesn't matter.

I'm hungry, shocking! It's only 8:42 in the morning, and it's way too
early for me to be hungry already. I mean, I won't be having lunch for
four more hours. Jesus Christ. Four hours. That's so stupid. Work is
stupid. Not my work, just work in general. [/covering my ass. Badly]

Nine Inch Nails were in town the other day. I didn't go - tickets were
85 dollars (85!!!), plus the show sold out in, like, five minutes. But I
did attempt to win a pair off the radio. I failed, but that's beside the
point, no? Anyway, it sounds like it was a good show (this based on the
reviews I've read in the alternative papers in town) and I'm sorry I
missed it, but no big. I mean, I have seen NIN twice previously. And I
touched Trent Reznor's fingertips. [/homoerotic overtones]
I will, eventually, I'm sure, get the new Nine Inch Nails album - With
Teeth - and find out if it's any good. The first single, 'Bite the Hand
That Feeds You" (or perhaps it's just "Hand that Feeds" - I'm so out of
the music loop that I don't even bother to learn the actual titles of
songs anymore) is nothing wonderful, but it IS running through my head
now, so I guess maybe it's grown on me.

Heh. Today is 5/10. Or 1/2. And as of typing this word right here there
are 441 words in this entry. Which means I'm half way done. Over half,
technically, but let's try and overshoot, shall we? Yes. We shall.

I think that perhaps the problem (or part of the problem, no way of
knowing the entire story) is the environment in which I attempt to
write. Sitting in front of a computer, while at work, or at home, in my
mind equals blankness. Boring. Jejune. Dull. And, so, self fulfilling
prophecy. I don't know that anyone would want to read this dreck. Myself
included. But, hey, that won't stop me. Doesn't stop anyone else online.

Gah. I just keep having the question of "Who cares?" run through my
head. Everything I think to type of, the inner critic simply asks,
"Yeah, but who cares?" And it's a good question. When I can't bring
myself to care, why should anyone else?

Bah. I'll send this now, and hopefully come up with something later to
add to it. Because, obviously, this just isn't working right now.

Another 800 words today? Doubtful! Doubting Thomas. I should look that
up. Actually, I shouldn't. [just between us]I've spent a little too long
online lately at work.[/just between us] Don't get me wrong, I still get
my job done - which is what matters, right? - but not all of the
internet surfing I've done recently has been "work related".

Anyway. We watched disc one of Frontier House last night. I fell
asleep..ish near the end of the 3rd episode (the wedding was boring, and
it was nearly 1am) but overall I enjoyed it. That means that the total
now becomes:
Netflix DVDs watched in May: 2
Yay! I guess. I think we're averaging about 6 a month. Not bad, although
we never will get to the bottom of our queueue (too many ues?). But
that's cool. I'm not complaining. Not like yesterday. Jeez, Louise, what
was up with that?

There are 234 days left in this year. Le sigh. The time just keeps on
flying past me. Although I still think like I'm 16 sometimes. Most
times, even. Make what you will of that information. I'm going to make a
giant snake out of it.

Um. What else? Steph bought a cell phone yesterday. As I believe she
said in her blog. (note to self: link to Steph's blog) I have not yet
thrown it at anyone's head, but I've thought about it. And it's
the thought that counts. I think. (ha!!)

I wonder about the origin of laser eye surgery. "Gosh. I bet we could
make people see better if we shot a beam of light into their cornea!"

It took 3 months, but I finally got spam delivered to my work email.
Excellent! It's all pharmacy and investment spam. So far! [/ominous]

Grumble, says my belly.

New episode of Lost on tonight. I can't even remember what is sup...oh,
right. The Hatch o' Mystery. Rivet me, television series!

Aaaaand, I should get back to work. Nowhere near 800 words this time. In
fact, not even half way like yesterday. Sad. Oh well. Duty calls.


Hooray! Now we're up-to-date...ish. Much more to come. (Of course, I must also do a hell of a lot of catching up on other blogs, too.)

7 comments:

Eileen said...

You're back! Yaaaaay!

Amy said...

Awesome. So awesome.

Mindi Scott said...

Good to see you back!

Whatever happened with the ticket drawing anyway? I was really interesting in the results of that one. :-)

Amanda said...

No baby stories? Or pictures? A picture is worth a thousand words. Or would that be cheating? :)

Simon said...

My personal theory is because French, c'est très cool.

Welcome back, good Sir! I faithfully promise that I will send you a letter in the month of June and a thousand thousand thousand and one apologies that I've not done so before.

I too am a bad friend... but you aren't!

P@ said...

Min - The Nelly tickets were given away on "Bring Your Child To Work Day", and were drawn from the box by Saren. The winners were:
1 person from Traffic
1 person from Sales
and
1 person from News

[/boring update] :)

Annika said...

Oh, man. I used to call the Las Vegas WB station all the time. I ought to get a life.

[don't stay away so long.]