Sunday, December 26, 2004

Boxing (Day)'s been good to me, Howard.

XmasX has been a good one this year. I'm on day 8 of 9 of this time off work, which has been wonderful. (The most wonderful time of the year, as they say) And today we have just been lounging around, fighting paper dragons, snacking here and there, wrecking cars in the kitchen, changing plastic clothing, and basically just having a day of relaxation. Good times.

Doh! Just looking down at the clock, I realized that I could've provided this entry with an alternate Ben Folds title! Oh well.

So, I went out to purchase milk today. And I was somewhat saddened by what I saw. Xmas truly is OVER. It's like, as soon as midnight of the 26th hits, the season is gone and forgotten. Going into the grocery store today, all of the Xmas merchandise that was left was being boxed up and bundled into displays saying "50% off" and "Clearance". And the Xmas aisle was barren. [frown]
In addition, the decorations around the neighborhood seem to have had the Xmas Spirit sucked out of them. I saw an inflatable Santa and inflatable Snowman in one yard ...and they were both deflated. At another house, the giant plastic candy canes were all knocked about (most likely due to the high winds we've had blow through here). And the radio station Lite 100.5, which has been playing nothing but "holiday music" since the day after Thanksgiving, has gone back to it's usual format.

Yup. Time to move on. The week after Xmas is generally when the media starts to do it's Year in Review type of things, so maybe I'll drudge up something similiar myself.

Anywhat, I hope everyone out there had an enjoyable holiday. And since I didn't get a chance to say it before, and it's a tradition (such as it were) in these parts, I'll say it now:
Merry Humbug
and
God Damn Us, Everyone!!

4 comments:

Jess said...

I'm kind of glad that Christmas disappears from the stores so quickly (though not glad I saw Valentine's tat in Joann's on Christmas Eve), because I'd start to suffer from burnout. It's bad enough that they start it right after Halloween.

Amy said...

Dude. This totally jumped right to the comments.

Furthermore - yes. I was freaked out yesterday when I came downstairs and the radio was on, and it was playing something other than Christmas music. And also, I saw some of those deflated balloon things. Which is weird, because I wasn't particularly fond of either of those holiday harbingers, but then ... pop! All gone. Kind of eerie.

I hope the tail-end of your vacation is chock full of slothful goodness!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good one. Having lots of time off is indeed a wonderful thing!

~CosmicAvatar

Simon said...

I know! It's a shame that all the Christmas stuff disappears so quickly. Still, stores gotta sell, right?

Glad you had a good one! Yes indeed.