Friday, November 02, 2012

philosopher ants

About a week ago I watched a documentary on Fire Ants on netflix. Pretty interesting stuff.
But it got me thinking about the meaning of life.

These ants all have jobs - build tunnels, get food, serve the queen - and they just DO them. Do any of the ants ever stop and question what the point of it is? WHY do they build these massive tunnels? Why do they seek out food for the colony? Why is it vital that the queen and the eggs survive?

Probably not. They just, you know, work.

But...perhaps they're onto something. They just live the life that they live, not questioning the whys and wherefores, just doing ant-things because, well, they're ants.

I'm not entirely sure what point I'm trying to make - if any - and I'm certainly not coming up with any new insights into the mysteries of life. I'm just over tired and kinda rambling. So, I'll just wrap it up with good ol' Vonnegut:

Tiger got to hunt,
Bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder, "Why, why, why?"
Tiger got to sleep,
Bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.

No comments: