Thursday, April 12, 2007

Listen

Kurt Vonnegut has died. So it goes.

It's extremely rare for me to be impacted by the passing of a celebrity. I mean, if anything, Vonnegut was simply a member of my granfalloon. I did not know him personally, I never met him, I have not, in fact, even read everything that he has written.

Nevertheless, I have found this news quite upsetting. Vonnegut was a unique and amazing voice, and I feel a deep sense of loss at his passing.

I can take solace in the fact that he is, of course, still alive and writing, and always will be. (Or, more seriously, that his works will always remain with us. I think I'm going to start working my way through Vonnegut's novels.)

Kurt provided us with a lot of meaningful, witty, cynical passages. His impact on me, and, from looking around the internet, obviously plenty of other people, was profound.

God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut.

God made mud.
God got lonesome.
So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!"
"See all I've made," said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars."
And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
Lucky me, lucky mud.
I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
Nice going, God.
Nobody but you could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have.
I feel very unimportant compared to You.
The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud that didn't even get to sit up and look around.
I got so much, and most mud got so little.
Thank you for the honor!
Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep.
What memories for mud to have!
What interesting other kinds of sitting-up mud I met!
I loved everything I saw!
Good night.
I will go to heaven now.
I can hardly wait...
To find out for certain what my wampeter was...
And who was in my karass...
And all the good things our karass did for you.
Amen.

Kurt is up in Heaven now.

3 comments:

Amy said...

This entry is like when Willow and Tara finally got to make out, but it was during "The Body."

Mindi Scott said...

When I think of Kurt Vonnegut, I always think of you. Is that weird?

(Explanation: The only KV I read was SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE. And that was because of you, right? Or am I crazy? Either way, that's how it is.)

P@ said...

Yes, Slaughterhouse-Five, or the Children's Crusade (full title) was the first of the WD Book Club books that I 'assigned'.

And the fact that Vonnegut & I are interconnected in your mind is a gigantic compliment, so, weither it's weird or not, I appreciate it. :)