Saturday, July 26, 2008

YARE

(Yet Another Random Entry)

Eventually I'll have a coherent theme for an entry. That'll be ...something.

*****


I had a dream last night in which I was Batman. But then, partway through, the logic part of my brain kicked in [this happens in my dreams a lot] and remembered that my being a superhero with a secret identity wouldn't really work... because I have a beard.
Good point, logic-brain!

*****


There's a Long John Silver's restaurant that I pass on the way to work each morning. It has an electronic marquee outside, and one of the messages it flashes is: "Now Open at 9am".
Who the hell is waking up at 9am and thinking, You know what I'm craving for breakfast? Fried fish!
Another message is the ominous sounding: "Monster Fish is Here!"
Which ...dude. I'm certainly not going to go inside a place that advertises that it has freakish creatures that may or may not attack me. Even if you are open at nine in the afternoon morning.

*****


I'm done discussing Dr Horrible, but this was inspired by it:
The piece definitely had a shift in mood, and it's one that we've seen plenty of times in other places [comedy --> drama/tragedy]. It is easy to go from funny to sad.
But has anything ever done the opposite? I suppose an (odd) example would be the next Saw movie switching it's tone and having the last 30 minutes or so being a romantic comedy. Could that be done? Has it been done? Because I'd find that intriguing. I might not like it, but I'd be intrigued by it being attempted... Note also, I'm not talking about things that already mix genres - Shaun of the Dead for example, we went in knowing that it was a horror/comedy mix. And most dramas do have comedic aspects in them, but, again, I'm talking a complete shift... if there are no examples out there, consider it a challenge to anyone writing stuff.

*****


The only way to make cyborgs more frightening? Have them eat humans.

*****


Oh, hey! There's a new Artemis Fowl book out! I'll have to rememeber to look for that tomorrow on the trip to the library. ...and make sure that my "E" book is short enough that I can squeeze it in as well. (Or just finish Artemis in a day or two.)

*****


It's so weird watching birds here in Vegas. They fly around with their mouths open because it's so hot, and they're trying to cool themselves down. Why don't they just migrate to cooler locales? Maybe they can't sell their nests because of the real estate crash.

*****


I've got topics for the next 3 blog posts! [Monday I'll discuss the D choices, Wednesday is month end, and Friday I'll announce...an upcoming...thing. [/tease]] Hooray!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoo!

CosmicAvatar said...

Poor hot birds. I've been incredibly hot today, and the only thing which makes me feel better (if a bit guilty) is reminding myself that it's a damn sight worse in other countries.

Anonymous said...

I love "logic brain" dream realizations. I shared with Annika that I dreamed the other night that I invited Laura Bush to speak at my Daughters of the American Revolution meeting and she fainted flat on her face. First of all, I haven't been involved in DAR in almost 10 years and second...Laura Bush? After that, a high speed chase ensued and the Pope showed up at a sleazy motel.

I don't think I have a logic brain.

Anonymous said...

BTW, can a pirate say, "yare?" Because I first thought this might be a post about pirates or piratey things.

Anonymous said...

did you ever see Kafka? The Soderburgh movie? That, sort of, does what you are talking about... at least as much as a movie can get away with...

April Fool's Day (the 80s flik), technically, does that- goes from one extreme to the other-

It could be argued that American Werewolf in London kind of tweaks the tone and shifts massively in it's final 20...

Amanda said...

I would totally eat hush puppies for breakfast.